Justin P. Walder is the co-chair of the Firm’s Litigation practice. He is the 2018 recipient of the New Jersey State Bar Foundation Medal of Honor. This highest award is in recognition of his professional excellence as demonstrated by accomplishments in the law and contributions to the improvement of the justice system for the betterment of the legal profession.
Justin was also recently recognized by his peers in 2018 as one of the Top Ten Super Lawyers of New Jersey.
He is nationally recognized by the Best Lawyers of America in the area of Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law and White Collar Criminal Defense.
He has amassed a wealth of legal knowledge from a variety of perspectives and continues to rack up legal accolades and accomplishments. Justin particularly enjoys litigating cases involving novel or complex questions of law, and recently represented a judge of the New Jersey Superior Court in a successful challenge as to the constitutionality of increases of pension and health care costs for judges and justices of New Jersey. He has been a leading advocate for an independent judiciary.
Justin has served as New Jersey state deputy attorney general and as assistant Essex County prosecutor in charge of business fraud and economic crimes, and, nearly 30 years ago, he co-founded the firm of Walder Hayden. In addition to his active litigation practice, Justin has served as designated special counsel to the New Jersey Supreme Court and as counsel to the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts. He passes his legal knowledge on to others through service as an adjunct professor at Rutgers University School of Law and as an instructor for the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education. He has been a master and lecturer for the New Jersey Inns of Court and a faculty member of the New Jersey Judicial College. He is an associate editor of the New Jersey Law Journal.
Justin believes strongly in service to the legal community. He has served in a number of capacities, including, among others, as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Commission on Rules of Professional Conduct; as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Board on Trial Attorney Certification; and as a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Fee Arbitration.
From Chambers USA 2020 Reports:
"Justin Walder has earned an outstanding reputation for his practice in white-collar criminal defense. Sources regard him as a 'uniquely skilled trial lawyer who knows how to deal with people and federal prosecutors.' 'He works really hard, immerses himself in the case and he's a very persuasive and prepared orator,' notes an interviewee."
Honors & Recognitions
- Recipient of the New Jersey Law Journal Distinguished Leader Award, 2017
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA Lawyers for Business, Litigation: White-collar Crime & Government Investigations for 2017-2021
- Recipient of the 2016 Gerald B. O’Connor Award by the New Jersey Association of Justice
- Recipient of the 2014 Daniel J. O’Hern Award
- Justice William J. Brennan, Jr. Award
- Selected as the 2011 Lawyer of the Year by the New Jersey Law Journal
- Selected for the Best Lawyers in America list, based on peer review, as the 2013 Lawyer of the Year in the metropolitan area for White Collar Criminal Defense and Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Included in the 2013-2021 Best Lawyers in America list for Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Included in the 2013-2021 Best Lawyers in America list for Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Included in Best Lawyers of America list, Appellate Practice, 2018-2022
- Ranked Number One in New Jersey Super Lawyers list for 2009
- Ranked Number Two in New Jersey Super Lawyers list for 2008
- Ranked in the “Top 10” New Jersey Super Lawyers list for the 2013-2018 editions
- Ranked in the “Top 100” New Jersey Super Lawyers list for 2019-2022
- Recipient of the 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Rutgers School of Law-Newark Alumni Association
- Trial Attorney of the Year, Essex County Bar Association
- Honorable Lawrence A. Whipple Memorial Award, Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA “Leaders in their Field” list
- Selected for inclusion in the list of Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent lawyers
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
The Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings list is issued by Martindale-Hubbell. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Client_Review_Ratings.aspx.
The Best Lawyers list is issued by Woodward/White, Inc. A description of the selection methodology can be found at https://www.bestlawyers.com/About/MethodologyBasic.aspx.
The Lawyer of the Year award is selected and published by the New Jersey Law Journal. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.njlawjournal.com.
The Chambers USA ranking list is published by Chambers & Partners. A description of the selection methodology can be found at https://chambers.com/about-us/methodology.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- June 15, 2020|News
Community & Professional
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Co-Chair, New Jersey Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Board of Trustees 2013, Moderator, CLE Seminar on “How to Handle High Profile Cases and the Media”)
- Essex County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America (Member, State Committee)
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (Member, Board of Governors)
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, past President
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee as to Revisions of the Code of Judicial Conduct Relating to Extrajudicial Activities
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Court Reporters/ Sound Recording
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Commercial Filming in Court Facilities
- New Jersey Supreme Court Criminal Practice Committee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ad Hoc Committee On Jury Selection
- Member, Panel Selection and Management Criminal Justice Act Plan
- Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee, United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- Member, Civil Justice Expense and Delay Reduction Advisory Committee
- Designated Special Master by United States District Court Re: Prudential Insurance Company of America Sales Practices Litigation
- Designated as Discovery Master by the Superior Court in Environmental and Complex Corporate Litigation
- Designated Special Agent, Provisional Director and Discovery Master by the Superior Court, Chancery Division
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Public Member, Seton Hall Law School Dean Search Committee
- Board of Visitors Seton Hall Law School
- Dean’s Advisory Council, Rutgers School of Law-Newark
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Committee, Reinstatement of Attorneys
- Member, Essex County Court Advisory Committee
- Member, Essex County Judicial and Prosecutor Appointments Committee
- Member, Steering Committee, Essex County Criminal Reorganization Program
- Moderator, Media, Bench Bar Dialogue: “Media Coverage of Criminal Cases”
- Member, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
B.A., Seton Hall University
J.D., Rutgers University School of Law