Daniel R. Guadalupe
Daniel R. Guadalupe serves as a trusted advisor to many domestic and international businesses on a wide range of matters with commercial litigation and transactional experience across the world. He serves as co-chair of the firm’s Construction Law practice and is often called on to arbitrate complex commercial matters in the United States and internationally.
Dan represents clients in commercial litigation and provides “outside” general counsel assistance with a specialty in business strategy, manufacturing and distribution, business disputes of all types, construction, shareholder and LLC member disputes, professional liability, franchise law, arbitrations and mediations, and international matters. Dan is a former President of the New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association and former General Counsel to two consecutive presidents of the Hispanic National Bar Association. He is a former member of the Lawyers Advisory Committee of the U.S. District Court and served on two U.S. Magistrate selection committees.
Dan is counsel to business owners, manufacturers, major pharmaceutical companies, a national dairy products manufacturer, and a global chocolate products manufacturer. He also has been counsel to the Newark Housing Authority, the City of Perth Amboy, and the Perth Amboy Business Improvement District. He has handled and supervised litigation and transactional matters in Switzerland, Spain, Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Costa Rica, and Puerto Rico.
Dan is on the exclusive roster of arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association. He formerly served as an International Chamber of Commerce Arbitrator and as an Adjunct Professor at Seton Hall University School of Law.
Early on in his career, Dan wrote the winning trial and appellate briefs for former Governor Tom Kean in an election dispute and received a letter commendation from the Governor after the New Jersey Supreme Court affirmed the lower courts’ decisions. In 2011, Governor Christie appointed Dan to serve on the Governor’s advisory and policy center for Hispanic affairs in New Jersey.
In addition, Dan served on the Board of Trustees for GlassRoots, Inc., a Newark non-profit that provides opportunities and a nurturing environment for underserved, at-risk youth, ages 10-18, to achieve self-esteem through creative expression, while also learning basic business skills and valuable life lessons. He was also a Board Trustee of CentraState Healthcare System.
- Chaired a three-arbitrator panel in a multimillion dollar arbitration involving a building in New York City
- Won a jury trial verdict in favor of Newark Housing Authority in an $8 million claim by a contractor
- Won a restrictive covenant action before the U.S. District Court and prevailed in the Third Circuit
- Former Trustee, CentraState Health System
- Master, The John C. Lifland American Inn of Court
- Member, Supreme Court of New Jersey Disciplinary Oversight Committee, 2009-2012
- Member and Chair of Panel, District XIII Ethics Committee, Office of Attorney Ethics
- Member, Local Federal Rules Revision Committee of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, 1996
- Member, Merit Selection Panel for Selection of U.S. Magistrates (two panels)
- Member, Board of Editors, New Jersey Lawyer, 1997-1999
- Board Member, Glass Roots, Inc., 2007- 2010
- Board Member, American Red Cross Princeton-Trenton Chapter, 1994-1997
- Lawyers Advisory Committee to the Federal Courts, 1996-1999
- New York State Bar Association
- General Counsel, Hispanic National Bar Association, 1992-1994
- Chairman, Hispanic National Bar Convention, 1992
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey- President, 1991-1992; Chair, Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee, 2009-2012
- President, Hispanic Bar Foundation of New Jersey, 1997-2000
- President and Founder, Puerto Ricans in Management Executive Roles (PRIMER), 2007-2009
- Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association (Commercial Litigation and Construction)
- Arbitrator, International Court of Arbitration, International Chamber of Commerce, Paris, France
- Appointed by Governor Christie to Advisory Committee of New Jersey Hispanic Center for Policy and Research, 2011-2013
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- B.A., Columbia College, 1983
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1986