From manufacturing facilities and warehouses, to the delivery and distribution of food and beverages, to the operations of grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and kitchen tables, our clients cover the full spectrum of the Food, Beverage & Hospitality industry. Likewise, our attorneys serve as trusted advisors to domestic and international food and beverage manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, and retailers; food and beverage trade groups; breweries, distilleries, and wineries; and restaurants, bars, hotels, conference centers, stadiums, and other public venues.
We appreciate that the Food, Beverage & Hospitality industry is a fiercely competitive market. Sustaining success depends on smart business practices, continual assessment and management of risk, innovation, and asset protection, and much more including a strong and steady approach to operations so that your business can thrive.
Our corporate, transactional, regulatory and litigation attorneys in the group work closely with you to identify, manage and resolve issues and disputes. We are skilled negotiators of compensation and operations agreements with executives, landlords, vendors, distributors, manufacturers, and suppliers. We provide advice on issues ranging from cyber-security to IP protection, regulatory compliance, and employee handbooks. We are your advocate in disputes or negotiations regarding design, construction, zoning, IP enforcement, wage and hour, insurance, and landlord/tenant, among others, providing you with sophisticated and strategic counsel to help prevent litigation from occurring at all or to limit potential exposure to your business interests and reputation.
Whether your company is a start-up venture or an established business, our Food, Beverage & Hospitality group is your team of advisors for anticipated and unanticipated legal and operational challenges.
Our firm is proud of the results it has achieved for clients, some of which are noted here. Of course, each legal matter is unique on many levels, and past successes are not a guarantee of results in any other pending or future matters.
- Represented an international hotel-management company in a contract dispute with a hotel owner raising issues of first impression under New York law concerning the hotel owner’s right to terminate the management company without cause on the theory that the management agreement was a personal-services contract. Successfully argued interlocutory appeal to the New York Appellate Division, First Department, resulting in dismissal of a trespass claim against the management company.
- Representing national hotel chain in contract disputes with unions.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 company in connection with over three dozen applications for site plan approval and variance relief for restaurant locations throughout central and northern New Jersey in which unanimous approvals were obtained in each case.
- Representation of a chain of Manhattan-based convenience stores in its leasing of a new store in lower Manhattan.
- Represent numerous business in a range of commercial and employment law matters, including franchisees of national brands; a craft brewery; restaurants; pub; CBD beverage manufacturer; leading natural food, beverage manufacturer and third-party logistics company; national food manufacturer; fruit importer and distributor; and apple products manufacturer and exporter.
- Lead industrial, construction and equipment outside counsel for major Italian chocolate and confectionery products manufacturer.
- Litigation counsel for a variety of businesses, including ingredients and spices manufacturer, national Hispanic foods manufacturer headquartered in New Jersey, and hotel franchisee.
- Serve as general outside counsel to numerous businesses in New Jersey and New York, including a restaurant group, individual restaurants and delis, Korean grocery chain, Korea-based BBQ franchise chain with worldwide operations, import-export companies, convenience store chain, ice cream manufacturer, national cheese and dairy products manufacturer, donut franchisees owning multiple locations, and hotel franchisee.
- Represented wine importer and distributor in breach of contract action brought by wine producer and successfully negotiated a settlement.
- Represented 50% owner of restaurant in shareholder dispute and negotiated favorable settlement and buy-out terms without litigation.
- Represented restaurant owner in connection with multiple mechanic’s liens filed by the general contractor and subcontractor and secured discharge of mechanic’s liens and settlement of construction litigation dispute.
- Represents an interior design business focused on the hospitality industry as its general outside counsel.
- Represented a locally-owned distillery in several contract actions, including securing a refund of defectively manufactured equipment critical to its business.