John Kim engages in a broad-based complex commercial litigation practice with experience in contract disputes, commercial torts, partnership and shareholder disputes, commercial landlord-tenant and property disputes, estate and probate litigation, products liability, RICO civil litigation, civil conspiracy, fraud, securities litigation, financial services litigation, and legal malpractice.
His clients include real estate companies, supermarket chains, manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors, hotels, restaurants, import-export companies, commercial landlords and retail tenants, small businesses and business owners in numerous industries and with worldwide operations.
John also has extensive experience as outside counsel to a variety of companies, whether it be providing the services of in-house counsel to smaller operations, or working in conjunction with the legal department of larger corporations. John’s clients view him as an integral part of their business operations teams; in addition to turning to him for legal counsel, they consult with him on business decisions, to ensure the harmony of business and legal considerations.
John serves on the Board of the Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York (KALAGNY), and is involved with the Asian American Bar Association of New York (ABANY), and the Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey (APALA-NJ). He is also a Member of the Ethics Committee of District II of New Jersey State as well as a member in good standing with the New Jersey Bar Association.
Prior to joining Pashman Stein Walder Hayden, John worked in Manhattan for over a decade as an associate with Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP and with Chadbourne & Parke LLP.
In John's Words:
"I like to think of myself as not only a litigator, but also as a confidant and advisor to my clients. What I believe distinguishes me as a lawyer is my ability to tailor legal strategies to most effectively achieve my clients’ business objectives. My clients and I work hand in hand to effectuate the best possible outcomes."
Our firm is proud of the results it has achieved for clients, some of which are noted here. Of course, each legal matter is unique on many levels, and past successes are not a guarantee of results in any other pending or future matters.
- Representing plaintiff in discrimination lawsuit against luxury department store chain headquartered in New York City.
- Representing national hotel chain in contract disputes with unions.
- Serving as general outside counsel to numerous businesses in New Jersey and New York, including a hotel chain, restaurant group, restaurants and delis, grocery chains, international franchise chains, import-export company suppling Asian food products, and a convenience store chain.
- Representing major beauty supply product company in corporate and collection matters.
- Representing commercial real estate companies involved in buying, selling, and managing real estate, including litigation when necessary.
- Representing shareholders in business disputes with their partners.
- Representing a widow who was omitted from her spouse’s will because they met and were marred after the will’s creation. Successfully applied the omitted spouse statue to entitle the widow to an intestate share of the decedent’s estate despite the recognized validity of the will that omitted her. As a result, our client was permitted to retain her marital home, despite that home being a part of decedent’s estate that was devised to other beneficiaries.
- Successfully defended a widow against other beneficiaries in a dispute over decedent’s pharmacy business and ownership of the commercial building in which it operates, including the successful negotiation of the sale of the building and business.
News & Insights
- 1.18.22|Virtual Event
- 10.15.20|Virtual Event
Community & Professional
- Member, District Ethics Committee for District IIB
- Member, Board of Governors, Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York (KALAGNY)
- Co-chair, KALAGNY Litigation Committee
- Co-chair, KALAGNY Mentorship Program
- Member, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF)
- Member, Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey (APALA-NJ)
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
B.A., Boston University, 2001, magna cum laude
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2004