The attorneys in the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) practice group at Pashman Stein Walder Hayden recognize that arbitration or mediation is a more efficient way to resolve many disputes, particularly given the growing number of cases backlogged in state and federal courts. By avoiding numerous pretrial proceedings, ADR is a cost-effective process for litigants. ADR also offers more confidentiality during sensitive business or family disputes by avoiding the public scrutiny often inherent in cases litigated in the court system.
We provide ADR services as a mechanism to resolve disputes before resorting to litigation, as well as to resolve disputes after litigation has commenced. In addition to conducting in-person ADR proceedings, we use secure platforms to conduct virtual ADR proceedings. Our team is experienced in conducting ADR proceedings for businesses, organizations, and individuals in a wide range of matters, including:
- Commercial disputes
- Contract disputes
- Construction matters
- Disputes among business owners
- Real estate
- Will contests
- Family and matrimonial matters, including custody, parenting time, support, and asset allocation
Our Mediators and Arbitrators
Our ADR team is comprised of attorneys who possess a deep knowledge of the rules governing the ADR process. Several attorneys in the ADR practice group are former judges who can offer insight on strategies from their experience on the bench. Some of our attorneys have completed specialized training to become court-certified mediators, while others are able to serve as arbitrators and special masters in certain matters.
The ADR team of mediators and arbitrators include:
- Honorable Gary S. Stein (Ret.), special counsel, who served for more than 17 years as an Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Honorable Ellen L. Koblitz (Ret.), special counsel, who served as a judge for more than 27 years, including 10 years as a judge in the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court, including two years as Presiding Judge, 10 years as Presiding Judge of the Family Part and two years as Presiding Judge of the Chancery Division in Bergen County. Judge Koblitz mediates Chancery, Civil and Family Part matters and is an Arbitrator at the American Arbitration Association (Consumer Panel).
- Honorable Ronny Jo Siegal (Ret.), partner and former judge who served for more than eight years with the New Jersey Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part. Judge Siegal is a family law mediator and arbitrator.
- Barry H. Evenchick, partner and former chief of the appellate section of the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office. Barry mediates Chancery and Civil Matters and is an Arbitrator at the American Arbitration Association (Commercial Panel).
- Daniel R. Guadalupe, partner, co-chair of Construction Law practice, and member of Litigation and Appellate Advocacy practice. Dan is an Arbitrator at the American Arbitration Association (Commercial Litigation and Construction Panels) and an Arbitrator at the International Court of Arbitration, International Chamber of Commerce, Paris, France. He is also a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Complementary Dispute Resolution.
- Tracy Julian, partner and chair of the Family Law practice. Tracy is a family law mediator.
- Matthew A. Smuro, partner and member of Family Law practice. Matt is a family law mediator.
News & Insights
- February 9, 2021|News
- 6.25.21|Virtual Event
- November 2015