John W. Weiss is chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Creditors’ Rights practice group and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. He focuses his practice on corporate restructuring and bankruptcy matters. John advises clients in jurisdictions throughout the country, while continuing to focus and expand his practice in Delaware, New York, and New Jersey. Drawing on over 20 years of experience at AmLaw 100 firms in New York and Delaware, John partners with his clients to understand their objectives and develop approaches to pursue their interests practically, strategically, and efficiently. His clients turn to him for his sophisticated and trusted counsel when faced with these complex issues and challenges.
John’s broad-based experience includes representing key parties in complex bankruptcy and restructuring situations, including debtors, official and unofficial committees, secured and unsecured creditors, indenture trustees, agents, collateral managers, lessors and lessees of real and personal property, parties to executory contracts, trade creditors, critical vendors, and various other parties. He also has extensive national experience representing parties in avoidance actions, as well as advising professional service firms (such as accounting firms, financial advisory firms, and investment banks) on bankruptcy retention and fee-related issues, including counseling such firms as to related policies and procedures, risk mitigation, and forms and documentation, and appearing in court on their behalf.
When necessary, John works closely with Pashman Stein’s litigation practice group, drawing on the firm’s deep bench of experienced litigators to handle litigation matters faced by his clients. In addition, he is able to leverage the abilities of Pashman Stein lawyers who specialize in other relevant practice areas to provide comprehensive counsel for his clients. Importantly, John and his team can handle these matters in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
John is very active with the New York City Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA NYC Chapter), currently serving on the Board, the Executive Committee, the Governance Committee, and as General Counsel for the Chapter, and previously serving on the Nominations Committee, as chair of the Membership Committee, and in various other roles over the years. John is also actively involved in the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), and has served as the ABI’s Ethics and Compensation Committee co-chair and newsletter editor, and on the Planning Committee and as a panelist for the ABI’s annual New York City Bankruptcy Conference.
Our firm is proud of the results it has achieved for clients, some of which are noted here. Of course, each legal matter is unique on many levels, and past successes are not a guarantee of results in any other pending or future matters.
Certain of the matters below were handled by John prior to his joining Pashman Stein Walder Hayden:
- Represented the following debtors in each of their Chapter 11 cases: casino gaming company, power generation facility, large video rental company, petrochemical producer, assisted living facility owner and operator, residential land developer, infomercial business, large national hat retailer, national car wash, gas station and convenience store owner and operator.
- Represented the indenture trustee for various collateralized loan obligations (CLOs) in such CLOs’ Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented the collateral manager for various collateralized debt obligations (CDOs) in state court litigation and various Chapter 11 cases involving such CDOs.
- Represented the first and second lien agent in the Chapter 11 cases of an entertainment related company.
- Represented an indenture trustee serving as a member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of a large industrial equipment rental company.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of an automotive technology supplier.
- Represented trade creditors serving as members of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of a cable and communications company.
- Represented a secured creditor in state court litigation and a resulting receivership relating to an oil refinery.
- Represented a secured creditor in the Chapter 11 cases of a hospital and nursing home.
- Represented a secured creditor in the Chapter 11 cases of a large financial services holding company.
- Represented trade creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of a national telecommunications company.
- Represented subordinated noteholders in the Chapter 11 cases of a media production firm.
- Represented an exclusive distributor in the Chapter 11 cases of a global clothing brand.
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the list of New York Super Lawyers, 2013-2023
- Selected for inclusion in the list of New York Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2011 - 2012
- Selected for inclusion in the list of Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law; and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2017-2024
- Selected for inclusion in the list of Best Lawyers, "Hackensack: Lawyer of the Year," Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2023
- Member, New York State Bar Empire State Counsel List
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
The New York Rising Star list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html
The Best Lawyers list is issued by Woodward/White, Inc. A description of the selection methodology can be found at https://www.bestlawyers.com/About/MethodologyBasic.aspx.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
Community & Professional
Member, Chapter 11 Local Rules Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- Turnaround Management Association, New York Chapter
- Member, Executive Committee, Governance Committee and Board of Directors
- General Counsel
- Former Chair, Membership Committee
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Former Co-Chair, Ethics and Compensation Committee
- Member, New York City Bankruptcy Conference Planning Committee
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of New York
B.A., The Ohio State University, 1996
J.D., Pennsylvania State University, 2000