Jennifer is a Visiting Clinical Instructor at Yale Law School. Jennifer Borg is the former general counsel, vice president and corporate secretary of North Jersey Media Group Inc. The company published more than 50 newspapers and magazines – including the award-winning daily newspaper, The Record – as well as the news website, NorthJersey.com. The Record was owned by the Borg family for over 80 years and was recently sold to Gannett Satellite Information Network LLC.
As head of the Legal Department, Jennifer handled all First Amendment issues and right-of-access claims, as well as all the company’s litigation and transactional matters. She is a fierce advocate of open and transparent government. In 2014, she successfully litigated many cases under New Jersey’s Open Public Records Act, helping The Record in its award-winning breaking news coverage of “Bridgegate.”
Jennifer has been involved in major copyright issues, such as the licensing of the iconic photograph taken by Thomas E. Franklin of The Record (Bergen Co., New Jersey) showing three firefighters raising an American flag at Ground Zero.
Jennifer is also president of the Foundation of Northern New Jersey, f/k/a North Jersey Media Group Foundation, which she founded in 2002 to assist those who suffered losses as a result of the events of Sept.11,2001.
Our firm is proud of the results it has achieved for clients, some of which are noted here. Of course, each legal matter is unique on many levels, and past successes are not a guarantee of results in any other pending or future matters.
- Ms. Borg has won numerous lawsuits on behalf of reporters to serve the public’s right to know through the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) and the Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA).
- Ms. Borg has represented many reporters and publications defending libel lawsuits and invoking the Shield Law to prevent reporters from having to testify in connection with their newsgathering activities.
- In 2001, in conjunction with the ACLU, Ms. Borg led a lawsuit against former Attorney General John Ashcroft after 9/11 in order to obtain information about secret detainee hearings held by the U. S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- In 2013, on behalf of North Jersey Media Group, Borg filed a federal lawsuit against Sarah Palin and her PAC alleging copyright infringement for their use of the photo of the three firefighters raising an American flag at Ground Zero.
Honors & Recognitions
- American Civil Liberties Union, Legal Leadership Award, 2017
- American Bar Association Journal, Record’s aggressive efforts to gain access to public records in “BridgeGate”
- NJBiz, General Counsel of the Year Award, 2013
- PolitickerNJ, “Power” List, 2015
- Senate Majority Leader Weinberg’s, “Power” List, 2013-2014
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- July 2014|News
- March 1, 2021|Event
- 3.20.15|NJ OPRA Blog
Community & Professional
- Member, New Jersey Foundation for Open Government
- Member, New York State Bar Association Media Law Committee
- Member of the Board, Table to Table
- Member of the Board, East Hampton Historical Society (NY)
- Former Member of the Board, Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC)
- Former Member of the Board, HUMC Foundation
- Former Member of the Board, Program for Parents Inc.
- Former Member of the Board, Urban League for Bergen County
- Former Member of the Board, The Dwight Englewood School
- Former Member of the Board, Marilyn Horne Foundation
- Former Member of the Board of Governors, The Hotchkiss School
- Founding Member, Women United in Philanthropy
- Founder and President, North Jersey Media Group Foundation
- Former Chair, President, and Member, New Jersey Press Association (NJPA), and NJPA Foundation
- Member, D.C. Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar
- Member, Bergen County and Passaic County Bars
- Member, Women Lawyers in Bergen
- Member, New Jersey Women’s Lawyers Association
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Disctrict Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
B.A., Denison University, 1987
J.D., Columbia University School of Law, 1990
Columbia Human Rights Law Review, editor
Moot Court, editor and judge