Samuel J. Samaro
- March 12, 2019 - Fifteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- March 12, 2019 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorney Sam Samaro Selected to 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers List
- January 1, 2019 - 2018 Attorney Rankings and Awards Recap
- November 26, 2018 - Samuel J. Samaro Recertified by New Jersey Supreme Court as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- August 27, 2018 - Pashman Stein Recognized as a 2018 Regional Powerhouse by Law360
- June 11, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden's Appellate Practice Profiled in New Jersey Law Journal
- April 23, 2018 - Firm has been recognized as "Appellate Litigation Department of the Year" by The New Jersey Law Journal
- March 19, 2018 - Thirteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Jul 17, 2017 - PSWH Media Law Attorneys Obtain Landmark Supreme Court Ruling in Favor of Police Transparency
- Nov 10, 2016 - Justices Weigh Public’s Right to Know in Fatal Cop Encounters
- Sep 12, 2016 - Sam Samaro Quoted in NJ.com Story on Gov. Christie’s Email Records
- Sep 10, 2016 - Partner Sam Samaro Quoted in AP Story in Regards to Gov. Christie’s Emails Search
- Mar 24, 2016 - Pashman Stein Lawyers Selected to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Aug 27, 2015 - Pashman Stein lawyers featured in The Record in regards to the release of documents in fatal police shooting
- April 22, 2015 - Sam Samaro Quoted in Northjersey.com in "State Police Fight Release of Files in Fatal Shooting"
- Mar 16, 2015 - Five Pashman Stein Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers List for 2015 Six Attorneys Also Selected to the Rising Stars List
- February 9, 2010 - Sam Samaro interviewed by Chronicle of Higher Education Labor and Work Life Issues
- November 16, 2009 - Sam Samaro Quoted by Chemical and Engineering News regarding lawsuit against William Paterson University
- September 27, 2005 - Sam Samaro interviewed for article, "Is Your Boss a Bully?"
- October 11, 2018 - Nineteen Heads- Statistically speaking, what are the odds of becoming a Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court?
- September 5, 2018 - New Jersey Paid Sick Leave Law Takes Effect on October 29, 2018
- May 15, 2018 - Recovering Lawyers' Lost Position Of Independence
- October 16, 2017 - A Critique of the Unpublished Per Curiam Opinion
- Aug 17, 2016 - Identifying & Addressing Procurement Fraud
- November 2, 2015 - Transparency of Police Conduct Consistent with Public's Right to Know
- February 27, 2012 - How Independent Are Owner-Operators?
- November 4, 2005 - Pregnancy Leave Ruling Misses the Mark
My background is in employment litigation and counseling and I still devote about half of my time to that work. I have 30 years of experience providing compliance advice and litigating labor and employment cases of all types, including discrimination claims, disability claims, compensation disputes and contract actions. I am the chair of the Firm’s labor and employment practice.
Over the last decade, my practice has gradually evolved into other areas of litigation as well, particularly commercial torts, where I have represented companies, primarily as plaintiffs, against businesses and individuals who have committed fraud, stolen or misused company assets, overcharged for services, interfered with contracts, violated intellectual property rights and refused to pay debts without legitimate basis. The team I lead has had great success in these areas, representing companies large and small and recovering millions of dollars in recent years.
In 2015 I represented a major New Jersey media company before the Supreme Court of New Jersey in an access to government records case. The resulting opinion, North Jersey Media Group Inc. v. Township of Lyndhurst, 229 N.J. 541 (2017), is one of the most significant Open Public Records Act decisions in New Jersey history.
I have been designated a Certified Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey since 2008 and have been a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee since it was established in 2010.
- Past Member, District II-B Ethics Committee
- Op. Ed.: “Nineteen Heads,” New Jersey Law Journal - Opinion, October 11, 2018
- Op. Ed.: “Recovering Lawyers' Lost Position Of Independence,” Law 360 Expert Analysis - Opinion, May 15, 2018
- Op. Ed.: “A Critique of the Unpublished Per Curiam Opinion,” New Jersey Law Journal, October 16, 2017
- “Identifying & Addressing Procurement Fraud,” Meadowlands USA Newsletter, August 2016
- Op. Ed.: “Transparency of Police Conduct Consistent with Public’s Right to Know,” 221 N.J.L.J. 1367, November 2, 2015
- “How Independent Are Owner-Operators?,” The Journal of Commerce Magazine, February 27, 2012
- “William Paterson U. Pays $1-Million to Settle Gender-Bias Lawsuit,” Interview for article for The Chronicle of Higher Education, Labor & Work-Life Issues, February 9, 2010.
- “The Case for Fiduciary Duty as a Restraint on Employer Opportunism Under Sales Commission Agreements,” Chapter 15, Compensation, Work Hours and Benefits, Proceedings of the New York University 57th Annual Conference on Labor, Kluwer Int’l., 2009.
- “Fiduciary Duty,” New York University Labor and Employment Law Newsletter, Issue 3, Spring 2009
- “A Hostile Workplace,” Interview for article on Chemical & Engineering News, November 16, 2009
- “The Case for Fiduciary Duty as a Restraint on Employer Opportunism Under Sales Commission Agreements,” 8 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Labor and Employment Law 441, 2006. Cited by, RESTATEMENT of EMPLOYMENT LAW § 3.04, Reporters’ Notes, cmt. b (2015).
- “Pregnancy Leave Ruling Misses the Mark,” 182 N.J.L.J. 164, 2005
- Presenter at the American Chemical Society Annual Conference on “Recognizing and Preventing a Hostile Work Environment” with a presentation on “Focusing on Disrespect Instead of Sex in the Analysis of Gender Harassment,” March 28, 2011.
- New Jersey
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- B.A., Rutgers University, with highest honors, 1984
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1988
- LL.M (Labor and Employment Law), New York University School of Law, 2005, Recipient: Seymour Goldstein Award for Distinction in Labor and Employment Law Program
Honors and Accolades
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2009-2019
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.