Jerome M. Selvers, Chair of the firm’s Securities Regulatory Enforcement & Litigation Practice, is widely recognized as a preeminent securities attorney, respected in both the private bar and securities enforcement agencies for his knowledge, skill and professionalism. He represents brokers, brokerage firms, public and private companies, investment advisers, directors, officers, and individuals in securities investigations, as well as civil enforcement and administrative litigation, throughout the country. Jerry provides strategic defense and trial skills for his clients against allegations of federal and state securities laws violations brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the New Jersey Bureau of Securities, and other state securities regulators, as well as in disciplinary proceedings before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Jerry regularly collaborates with attorneys in the firm’s Criminal Defense and Investigations practices regarding federal and state criminal securities investigations and prosecutions, providing our clients comprehensive counsel in securities investigations, enforcement, and litigation. He also is called upon by other criminal defense attorneys to provide advice and counsel in connection with allegations of federal and state securities laws violations by their clients. In addition, Jerry represents other securities professionals, including accountants and attorneys, in enforcement actions before the SEC. He also represents investors in FINRA arbitrations who have suffered significant financial losses due to broker misconduct.
In addition to his securities regulatory enforcement and litigation practice, Jerry litigates commercial matters involving disputes among businesses, shareholders, and employees.
Prior to entering private practice, Jerry served as a Trial Attorney in the SEC Division of Enforcement where he investigated and prosecuted civil suits and administrative proceedings and represented the Commission in trials and hearings, in cases involving violations of the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Our firm is proud of the results it has achieved for clients, some of which are noted here. Of course, each legal matter is unique on many levels, and past successes are not a guarantee of results in any other pending or future matters.
- Represented the founder and CEO of a Silicon Valley Fortune 500 multi-billion-dollar semi-conductor company in connection with DOJ criminal investigation, SEC anti-fraud litigation, and class action in California, and derivative litigation in Delaware in one of the largest, if not largest, back dating stock option cases.
- Represented a Bahamian broker-dealer and its President in SEC anti-fraud litigation in Illinois.
- Represented an individual in SEC anti-fraud litigation in Nevada.
- Served as co-counsel for an individual indicted and at a four-week trial for securities and wire fraud in Florida.
- Represented SEC judgment debtor in a SEC civil contempt proceeding at trial in Florida.
- Represented an accountant, individually and as Trustee of a domestic trust and as Trust Advisor to three offshore trusts in connection with securities and bankruptcy litigation in New Jersey.
- Represented a broker-dealer and its President in SEC market manipulation anti-fraud administrative proceeding in New York.
- Represented a broker-dealer and its President in NJBOS anti-fraud litigation in New Jersey.
- Represented a New York City attorney in SEC anti-fraud litigation in New York.
- Represented former brokers in a FINRA arbitration commenced by the court appointed Trustee in SEC Ponzi scheme case seeking approximately $30,000,000 in damages in Michigan.
- Represented a major accounting firm and partners in SEC administrative proceedings, including at hearings in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a bank owner, officer, and director in SEC insider-trading litigation in New York.
- Represented an officer/analyst of a leading financial credit ratings agency in a class action in New York.
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the list of Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent lawyers
The Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings list is issued by Martindale-Hubbell. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Client_Review_Ratings.aspx.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- Panelist, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, "Basic Securities Law and Practice"
- Lecturer, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, "Drafting Instruments for Public and Private Securities Offerings"
- Panelist, Monmouth County Bar Association, "Securities Aspects of the Sale of Businesses"
- Lecturer, New Jersey Association of Certified Public Accountants, "Corporate Finance"
- Lecturer, "Investor Rights", sponsored by Private Asset Management Firm
- “The In Pari Delicto Defense In Securities’ Law,” New Jersey Lawyer
- "An Overview of the Underwriting Process," New Jersey Lawyer
- "Penny Stock Law", Columnist, Penny Stock News a (bi-monthly newspaper focusing on growth stocks under five dollars)
- "Investment Contracts" Expanding Effective Securities Regulation", 48 St. John's Law Review 525, reprinted in Matthew Bender's Corporate Counsel's annual
- "Executive Encroachment on Congressional Immunity", 50 St. John's Law Review 38
- "Jury Trials in Criminal Prosecutions: Freedom Lives", 45 St. John's Law Review 324
Community & Professional
- Member, Business Law Section, Securities Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation and Regulatory Enforcement Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association
- Trustee for the liquidation of broker-dealer G.H. Sheppard & Co., Inc., pursuant to the Securities Investment Protection Act, appointed by the United States District Court: Southern District of New York.
- Commissioner, New Jersey Securities Regulation Study Commission, appointed by the Governor.
- Member and Articles and Projects Editor, St. John’s Law Review
- Member and Editor, The Catholic Lawyer, St. Thomas More Institute for Legal Research
- New Jersey
- New York
- • U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
• U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- B.A., Brooklyn College, cum laude
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, cum laude