Oren M. Chaplin, who serves as co-chair of the firm's Corporate & Business Law practice, is a corporate and business law attorney who acts as outside general counsel to businesses and business owners on legal, compliance, and contracting issues in both regular operations and special/extraordinary transactions and initiatives. He has represented clients in numerous industries, including health care and medical services, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, higher education, manufacturing, financial services, technology, e-gaming, consumer products and services, cannabis, waste management, and raw materials.
Oren assists clients with developing strategy, preventing liability and attaining business and individual objectives. He analyzes risks of commercial activities and helps clients with their decision-making process. He counsels clients in their life-cycle events from startup/formation, to growth, and ultimately to market exit. Oren’s experience spans a wide range of commercial contexts including relationships among equity stakeholders, between business partners, and across unrelated co-venturers.
Oren also represents clients in general corporate transactions including mergers, acquisitions, and business planning documents; entity formation, corporate governance, and due diligence matters; operating and shareholder agreements; supply and distribution agreements; vendor and other commercial partner arrangements; employment and executive arrangements; and private investment and investor relations.
Oren is an active participant in trade groups that are comprised of professional advisers to businesses. Oren has served as a Member of the Board of Directors of multiple not-for-profit organizations throughout the years.
Our firm is proud of the results it has achieved for clients, some of which are noted here. Of course, each legal matter is unique on many levels, and past successes are not a guarantee of results in any other pending or future matters.
- Represented an SEC registered investment adviser in connection with the sale of substantially all of its assets to an unaffiliated SEC registered investment adviser.
- Represented a new subsidiary of a privately held large federal chartered banking institution in connection with its acquisition of an SEC registered investment adviser and its entry into the fee-based investment management sector.
- Represented a multi-state professional engineering and architecture firm in the sale of its equity to a public company purchaser.
- Advised the owner of an environmental services, engineering and remediation company in the sale of their stock for a combination of cash, equity and post-closing employment. Included in the sale were company subsidiaries involved with workplace training and fleet vehicle maintenance services.
- Represented two related companies involved in providing services and materials to the special event and construction industries in their internal reorganization and subsequent sale to a third party buyer for a value of approximately $22.5 million.
- Represented the ownership group of a genetic counseling and life sciences company in their company merger with an institutional healthcare technology company for a combination of cash, promissory notes and equity.
- Represented the exclusive supplier of baked goods to a national restaurant chain in the drafting and negotiation of a long-term Supply Agreement.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in the drafting and negotiation of a Distribution Agreement with an international distributor.
- Represented C-Suite Executives in their separation and employment negotiations, compensation discussions and onboarding.
- Represented a national pharmaceutical service provider in its negotiation of Master Services Agreements, Project Agreements, Statements of Work and Project Agreements with multiple domestic and international pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Represented a national insurance company in its structuring, negotiation and documentation of a joint venture with their competitor targeting a new market for both parties.
- Advised a medical device manufacturer in connection with company structuring, capital raising activities and relationship agreements.
- Represented a company ownership group in their succession to the next generation of related and unrelated owners.
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2014-2015
The Rising Stars list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- "Responding to Coronavirus Orders and Adapting My Business – Is this the new normal?," Virtual Town Hall, March 31, 2020
- Management Liability Panel, Canna Risk Con, The Bridgewater Manor, Bridgewater, NJ, January 29, 2020
- Cannabis Law 101, Norris McLaughlin, P.A., Bridgewater, NJ, February 20, 2019
- “You’re No Longer a Start-Up! Now What?” Norris McLaughlin, P.A., Bridgewater, NJ, October 10, 2018
- “The DOL Fiduciary Rule,” Financial Planning Association NY, New York, NY, May 25, 2016
- “ERISA, Prohibited Transactions and the Role of the Fiduciary: What You Need to Know NOW,” Financial Planning Association NY, New York, NY, February 11, 2015
- “ERISA, Prohibited Transactions and the Role of a Fiduciary – A Discussion on What Professionals, Service Providers and Fiduciaries Need to Know,” Financial Planning Association Chicago, Chicago, IL, October 2014
- “Regulation and the Investment Advisor,” Financial Planning Association of New York, November 9, 2011
- “Practical and Legal Issues When Dealing With Technology Service Providers,” Grand Hyatt, Weston, Florida, February 19, 2011
- 3.4.20|PublicationBusiness Continuity Planning During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic - The National Law Review
- September 2018|ArticleNon-Disclosure Agreements - NM Business Law Blog
- September 2015|ArticleProposed Anti-Money Laundering Program Requirements for Registered Investment Advisers - NM Business Law Blog
- August 2013|ArticleDoing Deals in BRIC Nations: Adjust Your Expectations - NM International Business Law Blog
- May 2012|ArticleBusiness Council for International Understanding Hosts Luncheon to nform Executives About OPIC's Operations and Objectives - NM International Business Law Blog
- October 2010|ArticleFDA, SEC and FINRA Focus on Social Media - NM Internet Law Alert
- Fall 2011|PublicationProtecting Your Business Assets - FPANY Membership Newsletter
- August 2011|ArticleDodd-Frank's Impact on Investment Adviser Registration - NM Securities Law Alert
- July 2011|ArticleState Transition and Fund Registration Deadline - NM Securities Law Alert
- July 2011|ArticleSEC Open Meeting on Dodd-Frank Implementation - NM Securities Law Alert
Community & Professional
- Participant, XPX (Exit Planning Exchange)
- Member and Firm Representative, The Alternative Board
- Member, STAC (Strengthening the Advisor Community)
- Chair, Social Action Committee, Temple Emanuel
- Member, Board of Directors, Temple Emanuel
- Participant, Small Business Mentorship Initiative
- Member, Business Law section, American Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Honorable Amy Piro Chambers, Presiding Judge, Superior Court of New Jersey, Middlesex County (Ret.), 2001-2002
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
B.A., University of Delaware
J.D., New England School of Law, Managing Editor, New England Law Review