As partner in the firm’s Litigation, Employment Law, Criminal Defense and Governmental and Internal Investigations, and Cannabis & Hemp Law practices, Justin P. Kolbenschlag provides clients with a strategic approach to dispute resolution and strong advocacy on their behalf.
A highly skilled litigator, Justin has successfully represented a wide range of clients in a variety of employment and business litigation matters in the state and federal courts of New Jersey. Justin’s experience includes complex litigation matters on behalf of financial institutions, multinational corporations, public entities, small businesses, and individuals. His significant business litigation experience includes restrictive covenant (non-compete) litigation, breach of contract actions, real estate and specific performance disputes, fraudulent transfer claims, consumer fraud act litigation, professional liability litigation, construction litigation, and landlord/tenant matters.
Justin’s employment law experience includes representing both employees and employers in all aspects of employment law in state and federal courts and before administrative bodies, such as the U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development. He currently provides a voice to victims of workplace discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, unlawful retaliation and hostile work environment. He aggressively advocates for employees who are being mistreated in the workplace and compassionately counsels employees who have been terminated or offered severance packages.
In addition, Justin has significant experience defending employers in claims of wrongful discharge, unlawful employment practices, discrimination, harassment and wage and hour disputes. He counsels corporate clients on a broad range of issues including termination, employee discipline, wage and hour policies, disability accommodation and requests for leave, and the drafting of employee handbooks. Justin also conducts harassment training seminars for employees, management and human resource professionals. He works closely with principals and upper level management of employers of all sizes to audit the client’s employment practices and implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance and minimize the risk of costly employment litigation.
A member of Pashman Stein’s Cannabis & Hemp Law practice group, Justin has experience advising existing medical marijuana operators and representing applicants poised to enter various aspects of the medical marijuana industry. In both the medical marijuana and hemp spaces, he provides multifaceted legal guidance to business entities and individuals focused on managing risk and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
Prior to joining Pashman Stein, Justin was a solo practitioner at Kolbenschlag Law, LLC, which he formed after serving as partner in the litigation department at a prominent New Jersey law firm. At that firm, he was a key member of the trial team that successfully defended U.S. Senator Robert Menendez in Federal District Court against allegations of public corruption and bribery brought by the federal government. The trial ended in November 2017 with a hung jury and subsequent mistrial. Shortly thereafter, the Department of Justice dismissed all remaining charges against Senator Menendez.
- Key member of the trial team that represented U. S. Senator Robert Menendez against criminal allegations of public corruption and bribery brought by the federal government. The trial ended in November 2017 with a hung jury and subsequent mistrial. Shortly thereafter, the Department of Justice dismissed all remaining charges against Senator Menendez.
- Obtained a $420,000 settlement for a victim of workplace sexual harassment while employed by a publicly traded company.
- Negotiated executive employment agreement for Senior Vice President of Commercial Operations for specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Obtained a $450,000 settlement for victim of hostile work environment sexual harassment claim against a religious institution.
- Successfully defended wrongful termination claim against a major New Jersey University in an arbitration claim brought by a former employee.
- Obtained pre-litigation settlement of quid pro quo sexual harassment claim against architectural firm.
- Obtained pre-litigation settlement of age discrimination claim resulting from reduction in force (RIF).
- Negotiated executive severance agreement for Senior Vice President in insurance industry.
- Member of trial team in highly publicized six-month trial of undue influence claim involving hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successfully defended a significant insurance broker against claims of professional negligence in connection with a personal automobile policy.
- Defend attorney charged with professional ethics violations before the Disciplinary Review Board of the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of homeowners against general contractor in an action pursuant to the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act (CFA).
Honors & Recognitions
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2013-2021
- New Jersey Law Journal, New Leaders of the Bar List, 2017
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
The New Leaders of the Bar list is published by the New Jersey Law Journal. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.njlawjournal.com/id=1202728835571/Announcing-the-2015-New-Leaders-of-the-Bar.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
Community & Professional
- Preferred Behavioral Health Group, Board Secretary (2021) and Member of Board of Trustees (2020 – present).
- Member of Board of Directors, Garden State Equality Action Fund Executive Committee (2017 – 2021).
- Member, Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (2008 – present).
- Member, New Jersey Association of Justice (2019 – present).
- Barrister, John C. Lifland Federal Inn of Court (2007 – 2013).
- New Jersey, 2007
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 2007
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2007
B.A., University of Delaware, cum laude 2003