Joseph A. Hayden, Jr.
- Criminal Defense and Governmental and Internal Investigations
- Federal & State Health Care Investigations & Compliance
- Local Counsel
- January 25, 2019 - Joe Hayden Explores Al Alvarez' Hiring Process
- January 1, 2019 - 2018 Attorney Rankings and Awards Recap
- November 20, 2018 - Joe Hayden Interviewed by CBS News on President Trump's Response to Mueller Questions
- Nov 15, 2018 - Congratulations to Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Partner Joe Hayden on being named to InsiderNJ's 2018 Insider 100 Power List
- October 25, 2018 - Joe Hayden Joins Legislative Panel Investigating Governor Murphy's Hiring Practices
- August 15, 2018 - Six Pashman Stein Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America"
- June 29, 2018 - Congratulations to Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Partner, Joe Hayden on being named to InsiderNJ's 2018 Insider 100 Policy Makers List
- June 13, 2018 - Joe Hayden Attends Public Forum in Patterson
- June 11, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden's Appellate Practice Profiled in New Jersey Law Journal
- June 1, 2018 - Joe Hayden Quoted on NJ.com Regarding Legality of Breathalyzer Exams
- May 22, 2018 - Joe Hayden Joins Paterson Mayor's Transition Team
- May 4, 2018 - Joe Hayden Interviewed by InsiderNJ Regarding Robert Mueller's Investigation of President Trump
- May 3, 2018 - Chambers Recognizes Pashman Stein Walder Hayden as Leading New Jersey Firm
- April 27, 2018 - Joe Hayden Quoted "Caren Turner's Language and Conduct was Downright Awful" Regarding her Confrontation with a Tenafly Police Officer
- April 23, 2018 - Firm has been recognized as "Appellate Litigation Department of the Year" by The New Jersey Law Journal
- April 16, 2018 - Comey's Book is a Double-Edged Sword for Mueller" said Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorney Joe Hayden
- April 11, 2018 - Joe Hayden Says, "That's No Witch Hunt" Referencing the Raid by the FBI of the Offices of the Attorney for President Donald J. Trump
- March 19, 2018 - Thirteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- March 12, 2018 - Congratulations to Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Partner, Joe Hayden on being named to New Jersey's Irish American Leaders 2018
- February 2, 2018 - Joe Hayden Quoted and Justin Walder Mentioned in NorthJersey.com on Christie administration's last-minute move against Bridgegate's three convicted felons - Bill Baroni, Bridget Anne Kelly and David
- Jan 31, 2018 - Joe Hayden Says, "He Was Not Surprised by the Decision of the Justice Department to Seek Dismissal in Menendez Trial"
- Jan 24, 2018 - Partner Joe Hayden Quoted in Article About Menendez Retrial
- Jan 24, 2018 - Joe Hayden Quoted "It's not a knockout, but it's a big gain for the defense" in Menendez Retrial
- Nov 20, 2017 - Joseph Hayden Featured on Michael Aron’s On the Record; Shares Insight on Menendez Mistrial
- Nov 16, 2017 - Hayden: A ‘Win for Menendez’
- Nov 1, 2017 - Six Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Partners Selected for 2018 Best Lawyers in America
- Jun 5, 2017 - Montclair man not guilty in fatal 91-mph Lincoln Tunnel crash
- Mar 6, 2017 - Joe Hayden Included in Tom Barrett’s New Jersey’s Irish American Leaders: 2017 Edition
- Jan 31, 2017 - Firm Successful in Appeal to Overturn Ex-Doctor’s Conviction
- Dec 16, 2016 - Partner Joe Hayden Quoted on Northjersey.com in Regards to the Bridgegate Case
- Nov 30, 2016 - Joseph Hayden Participates in Criminal Practice Workshop in Beijing, China
- Nov 18, 2016 - Joseph Hayden Quoted in NJ.COM article in Regards to Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco Defense
- Nov 18, 2016 - Joseph Hayden and Aidan O’Connor on NBC News in Regards to Passaic Mayor’s Defense
- Nov 17, 2016 - Joseph Hayden Included in the 2016 Politicker NJ Power List
- Nov 7, 2016 - Joseph Hayden Interviewed by NJTV News on the Bridgegate Verdicts
- Aug 26, 2016 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Announces Its 2017 Best Lawyers in America
- Jun 10, 2016 - Joseph A. Hayden, Jr. Inducted into the 2016 The Smith Infectious Diseases Foundation Hall of Fame
- Jun 10, 2016 - Joseph A. Hayden, Jr. Elected as a Pledged Delegate for Hillary Clinton
- Jun 10, 2016 - Joseph A. Hayden, Jr. Lectures at the National Conference of Homicide Detectives and Investigators
- May 18, 2016 - PSWH Lawyers Participate in NJSBA Annual Meeting
- Mar 16, 2016 - Six Walder Hayden Attorneys Selected to the Super Lawyers List
- Mar 16, 2016 - Joseph Hayden Named One of 2016 Irish American Leaders from New Jersey
- Aug 31, 2015 - Joseph A. Hayden Featured On Due Process on Thirteen and NJTV
- Apr 14, 2015 - Joseph Hayden Featured on POLITICKERNJ.COM for Leadership in Civil Rights Movement
- Mar 31, 2015 - Seven Walder Hayden Attorneys Earn Super Lawyer Recognition
- Mar 30, 2015 - Joe Hayden Receives St. Benedicts's Prep "Distinguished Alumnus" Award
- Jul 31, 2014 - Five Walder Hayden attorneys named to 2014 Super Lawyers Business Edition
- August 22, 2018 - Trump Battered by Legal Adversity on Two Fronts
- July 30, 2018 - If Cohen Cooperates against Trump, will it be a Gamechanger?
- July 14, 2018 - Latest Mueller Indictment Lands Body Blow to White House
- June 28, 2018 - The Kennedy Retirement: Bracing for a ‘Post-Persuadable' Conservative Justice
- June 14, 2018 - Cohen Probably Weighing His Options More than Anything
Joseph A. Hayden, Jr.’s legal career spans over four decades. Joe began his legal career as a law clerk to the Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, and was then appointed Deputy Attorney General in the Organized Crime and Special Prosecution Section of the Division of Criminal Justice. As Deputy Attorney General, Joe tried the first wiretap case brought by the State of New Jersey. An esteemed leader of the criminal defense bar, Joe was the founder and first president of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (ACDLNJ) in 1985.
Joe has received accolades and honors for his excellence in trial work. Joe received the Lawrence A. Whipple Award for Professional Excellence from the ACDLNJ, and, in 2011, received the Rutgers University School of Law-Newark’s Distinguished Alumnus Award. In 2004, Joe was named Professional Lawyer of the Year in the area of Criminal Law by the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law. He is also the recipient of the Trial Bar Award for Professional Excellence from the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, an organization of civil litigators. In 2014, Joe received coveted the Justice William J. Brennan Award from the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, in recognition of his contributions to the profession.
Joe frequently tries cases with extensive media coverage, and tried the first case in New Jersey with live television coverage by a major network. Joe has been involved in such high-profile cases as the trial of former pro-basketball star Jayson Williams, (for recent article about the redemption and rehabilitation of prior client Jayson Williams click here) and successfully represented Joseph Ferriero, former Bergen County Democratic Chairman, in a federal prosecution. Joe is a frequent lecturer to the bench and bar on the topic of high-profile cases and is a frequent commentator on legal issues on cable and national TV. He also serves on the Jersey City Employment and Training Program’s Reentry Task Force, providing direction for Jersey City in linking supportive services to formerly incarcerated persons. Joe was recently profiled on PolitickerNJ.com for his involvement from the 1960’s to the present in the Civil Rights Movement and the Selma to Montgomery march in 1965.
Criminal defense is a significant part of Joe’s practice, and many of his cases have received attention in print media, on television, and on the Internet. He has tried 5 cases with live TV cameras in the courtroom. While he relishes his work on these complex high-profile trials, he has said that some of his most significant victories were those in which a client was being investigated for wrongdoing, but, thanks to his representation, was never charged.
Joe lives in Hoboken with his wife, Honorable Katharine Hayden, U.S.D.J. (D.N.J.). He has two children by a prior marriage, Kathryn and Patrick. He enjoys movies and theater. He has been active in athletics all his life as a football player in high school and in his first year at Boston College, and regularly played in football and basketball leagues for many years. He has run over 10 marathons and works out religiously on a daily basis for 1 hour a day.
- Representation of Doctors in Healthcare Fraud Prosecution
During the past year Joseph A. Hayden has obtained a favorable result for two prominent doctors from New Jersey who were indicted by the Attorney General’s Office of New Jersey for healthcare fraud, committing bribery and acting as a runner for medical providers. In the initial round of legal motions, the defense was able to obtain a dismissal of healthcare fraud and acting as a runner chargers by way of pre-trial motions. Ultimately, the defense was able to persuade the office of Attorney General to permit the Doctor involved to be accepted into the Pre-Trial Intervention Program which resulted in the ultimate dismissal of the commercial bribery charge – without any admission of guilt or culpability by the doctor involved. At all times, each doctor steadfastly maintained his innocence.
- Political Corruption
Joseph A. Hayden and Adian O’Connor represented the Mayor of Passaic, Alex Blanco, who pleaded guilty to bribery in connection with his duties as mayor. At sentencing the defense persuaded the Federal Court Sentencing Judge to grant Mayor Blanco a downward variance from a maximum 57 months to a sentence of 27 months. Given the otherwise unblemished background of Mayor Blanco and the extensive mitigating factorings involving his charitable endeavors, the sentenced imposed was an appropriate sentence.
- Acquittal in Vehicular Homicide and Aggravated Manslaughter Charges Arising Out of a Fatal Accident in the Lincoln Tunnel
On May 15, 2017, Joseph Hayden and Brendan Walsh obtained verdicts of not guilty for both charges in a case arising out of a fatal accident in the Lincoln Tunnel. On September 2, 2014, our client, Louis Pine, was involved in a collision where his car hit the car in front of him at 91 mph. The jury accepted Mr. Pine’s defense that he suffered a medical episode that rendered him unconscious in the moments leading up to the accident and, therefore, had no legal responsibility for the accident. There was no allegation of drugs, alcohol or texting on the part of Mr. Pine.
- Representation of Doctor on Appeal
Joseph A. Hayden also successfully represented on appeal a prominent Union County doctor who had been convicted of two criminal charges involving unlawful sexual contact with a patient. Although this firm did not serve as trial counsel, it was established before the Appellate Division that the doctor in question did not receive a fair trial and the conviction was reversed
- Board Member, Integrity House
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (Founder and Past President)
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- B.A., Boston College, 1966
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, magna cum laude, 1969
Honors and Accolades
- Best Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2018
- Chambers USA, Business, Litigation, White-Collar Crime, Government Investigations, 2017-2018
- Chambers USA, “Leaders in Their Field”
- InsiderNJ, “Insider 100 Policy Makers” List, 2018
- InsiderNJ, “Insider 100 Power” List, 2018
- InsiderNJ, New Jersey Irish American Leaders, 2018
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Top Ten Attorneys in New Jersey, 2008
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Top 100 Attorneys in New Jersey, 2018
- New York Magazine, Newark Area Lawyer of the Year, White-Collar Practice, 2011
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
The Best Lawyers list is issued by Woodward/White, Inc. A description of the selection methodology can be found at https://www.bestlawyers.com/About/MethodologyBasic.aspx.
The Chambers USA ranking list is published by Chambers & Partners. A description of the selection methodology can be
found at http://www.chambersandpartners.com/methodology.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.