Lana Ros is the chair of the Firm’s Health Care Practice. She works with physicians, dentists, nurses, and other health care professionals, as well as health care businesses, to help them navigate the complex and constantly evolving legal health care environment.
She focuses her practice in civil and administrative litigation, with a concentration in professional licensure defense before licensing Boards, such as the New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners (BME), the New Jersey State Board of Dentistry, the New York Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC), and the New York Office of Professional Discipline (OPD); hospital medical staff matters; and hospital disciplinary actions, including hospital summary suspensions and fair hearing.
Lana also represents clients in investigations, audits, and refund demands by private insurance companies, Medicare, and Medicaid, as well as in fraud and abuse investigations by federal agencies, including the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) and the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), and by state agencies such as departments of health (DOH), banking and insurance (DOBI), and state attorneys general (AG).
She handles diverse transactional and regulatory matters that affect health care professionals and businesses by counseling healthcare providers on how to deal with the constantly evolving medical marketplace. This includes advising clients on mergers and acquisitions, various business ventures, and creative health care business arrangements. In addition, she counsels and assists clients in regulatory compliance, including HIPAA/HITECH, Anti-kickback Statutes, and Stark Law, and respective state regulations.
Lana serves as outside counsel to numerous medical practices and businesses in New Jersey and New York, as well as various medical societies. She handles clients’ practice management matters and assists clients in the day-to-day operation of their health care business, including employment contracts; coding and billing compliance; operating, shareholder, and vendor agreements; practice acquisitions and sales; and employee handbooks.
Lana also assists clients in the highly regulated industries of medical cannabis and cannabis-derived products, such as cannabidiol (CBD). She assists cannabis entrepreneurs and health care professionals with navigating the complex developing laws, including those related to authorization of medical cannabis, permitting and licensing, distribution, production, research, testing, and general business operations.
Additionally, Lana is a sought-after presenter and frequently lectures throughout New Jersey and New York on wide-ranging legal issues affecting healthcare professionals.
In Lana's Words:
"I have devoted my legal career to helping healthcare professionals by providing proactive legal advice or helping them get out of legal trouble, so that they can focus on the practice of medicine and taking care of their patients. With busy schedules and demanding practices, health care professionals do not have time to keep up with the myriad and evolving laws and regulations pertaining to the practice of medicine. I strongly believe that taking proactive legal measures is just like practicing proactive medicine…it can be less costly and result in better outcomes than reactive measures!"
- Advise health care professionals and entities relating to the authorization of medical cannabis and patient policies
- Represented health care professionals in refund demands by private insurance companies, including successfully obtaining successful resolutions of a multi-million-dollar demand.
- Represented physicians and dentists in mergers and acquisition transactions with other medical/dental groups, private equity entities, or hospital systems.
- Represented physicians in employment negotiations with hospitals and medical practices.
- Represented physicians in dispute with hospital systems.
- Represented physicians investigated by the New Jersey Department of Banking (“DOBI”), and defended civil law suits filed by DOBI.
- Drafted medical staff bylaws.
- Represented physicians in investigations commenced by the New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners due to allegation of discriminate prescribing, as well as assisted physicians in successfully reinstating their medical licenses.
- Represented physician seeking reinstatement of medical license in the State of New York, including appealing the Board of Regents denial to the New York Appellate Division.
- Represented physicians and medical practices in Office Civil Rights investigations stemming from allegations of HIPAA violation or civil rights violations.
Honors & Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in the list of Best Lawyers, Health Care Law, 2020-2022
The Best Lawyers list is issued by Woodward/White, Inc. A description of the selection methodology can be found at https://www.bestlawyers.com/About/MethodologyBasic.aspx.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- August 26th, 2021|News
- 10.12.21|Virtual Event
- 9.23.21|Virtual Event
- 4.5.21|Virtual Event
- March 1, 2021|Event
- 2.16.21|Virtual Event
- 2.5.21|Virtual Event
- 1.28.21|Virtual Event
- 12.8.20|Virtual Event
- 12.3.20|Virtual Event
- NJ Cannabis Blog, 10.5.20
Community & Professional
- Chair, New Jersey State Bar Association Health Law Section
- Trustee, Somerset County Bar Association
- Morris County Bar Association
- District XA Ethics Committee, East Morris and Sussex Counties
- Healthcare Steering Committee, CIANJ
- Business Law Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Trustee, Women in the Profession Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Cannabis Law Special Section, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Women in Business Forum, Morris County Chambers of Commerce
- Member, District Ethics Committee for District XA
- Member, Hudson-Bergen Inn of Transactional Lawyers
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
B.S., Cook College at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 2003
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 2007