Lisa M. Buckley serves as Chair of the Intellectual Property practice and a partner in the firm’s Litigation practice. With more than 32 years of experience practicing intellectual property law and complex commercial litigation, Lisa M. Buckley is a strong advocate for companies and individuals, with a well-earned reputation for her IP counsel to clients and her many litigation successes. She provides corporate, transactional and due diligence services as well as representation of litigants in a wide range of IP matters.
Lisa’s intellectual property practice includes counsel and litigation on copyright, trademark and trade secrets matters for start-ups, established corporations and individuals. As a litigator, she prosecutes clients’ claims of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and misappropriation of trade secrets or other proprietary information. Lisa also defends clients against claims of infringement or misappropriation. She believes that litigation should be a last resort and counsels clients as to how to protect and safeguard their intellectual property, and how to avoid, or minimize, the risk that clients will be accused of infringement. Lisa has advised and litigated on behalf of clients in a host of industries, including digital media, software, fashion, cosmetics, perfumes, and apparel.
Clients also turn to her to draft IP licenses with a litigator’s eye, and to prepare copyright and trademark applications. She has also conducted due diligence on IP assets in connection with mergers, acquisitions, or other strategic transactions.
In addition, Lisa is an experienced entertainment lawyer who has worked on behalf of artists, music publishers and record companies. Across her practice, she has litigated many matters that have resulted in multimillion-dollar verdicts.
Lisa’s complex commercial litigation experience runs the gamut from IP disputes to commercial contract disputes, partnership disputes, employment disputes, and real estate related disputes. She also has considerable experience in government investigations, securities litigation and antitrust litigation. Lisa litigates in federal and state courts around the country and represents clients before alternative dispute resolution forums including JAMS, the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Upon law school graduation, Lisa clerked for New Jersey Supreme Court Associate Justice Gary S. Stein (Ret.). Following that clerkship, she joined Pryor Cashman in Manhattan, where she practiced IP and complex commercial litigation until joining Pashman Stein Walder Hayden in 2021.
- Successfully litigated copyright infringement case on behalf of music publishers against one of the first music file-sharing services.
- Successfully litigated companion copyright cases in the US and UK on behalf of a major music publisher involving the unauthorized exploitation of the Beatles musical compositions.
- Successfully represented major and independent music publishers against Apple, Google, Spotify, Amazon, and Pandora in copyright rate proceeding to determine compulsory rates and terms for interactive streaming services.
- Successfully litigated trade secret misappropriation case on behalf of financial services company against former employees who developed critical software and then left to work for a competitor.
- Successfully defended major music publisher in copyright infringement suit brought by Gospel artist.
- Successfully represented major record company accused of copyright infringement in connection with the distribution and marketing of a record by a popular UK-based musical group.
- Representing major music publishers and musical groups in copyright infringement actions.
- Successfully litigated trademark infringement claims on behalf of several apparel-company clients.
- Coordinated sting operation to recover leaked photographs of major pop star who intended that first publication of photographs be in coffee table book.
- Successfully litigated on behalf of popular musical artist to extricate himself from partnership with manager.
- Successfully represented songwriter, producer, performing artist and philanthropist in litigation against distributor of alcoholic beverages for failure to market celebrity-branded alcoholic beverage.
- Successfully represented major pop musician in dispute with licensor of trademark for use on perfume.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2022
- Super Lawyers – New York Metro list in intellectual property litigation (2013 – present)
The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- Author, Entertainment Law Chapter, 2020 edition of the New York City Bar Association’s legendary treatise, Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts
- Guest Writer, “Making It As A Band May Be Tough, But Breaking Up Is Hard to Do,” The Wrap