Alana M. Hans-Cohen is an associate in the Cannabis & Hemp Law practice group where she focuses her practice on the intersection of cannabis law with corporate and business law, real estate, government, and public policy.
Named to the InsiderNJ “Insider 100: Cannabis Power List” in 2022, Alana has developed a niche practice serving minority and women-owned businesses and social equity applicants with cannabis business interests on a broad range of matters, ranging from formation and the application process to compliance and licensing. Drawing on her background in corporate and real estate law, she provides strategic advice to clients on, and prepares and negotiates contracts for, leases, purchases, sales, and options, as well as additional underlying corporate documentation. A dedicated advocate for her clients, Alana appreciates the complexities of the highly regulated cannabis industry, providing counsel on government and policy issues as well.
Alana has been a passionate advocate for social justice in the cannabis industry since 2016, and currently serves in a leading role in several cannabis-related organizations. She is a director and trustee of the Cannabis Advisory Group and the chair of the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on Drugs and the Law.
In addition to assisting commercial clients, Alana dedicates her pro bono efforts to educating municipalities, non-profits, and social equity applicants on the complexities of federal and state laws and issues to consider in anticipation of preparing an application. She has served as a volunteer to assist in filing applications pursuant to New York’s inaugural Cannabis Compliance Training & Mentorship program, as well as in pro bono workshops of the City Bar Justice Center and in expungement clinics. She is an adjunct professor at Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York teaching cannabis related courses.
Alana earned her J.D. from New York Law School where, unable to find a cannabis law course in New York City, she advocated for a course at her school that has since been implemented. While attending law school, she served as the policy and legal compliance editor of Cannabis Law Digest and served as a law student attorney for the Mediation Clinic at New York Law School.
In Alana’s Words:
"I joined Pashman Stein because I wanted to work for a firm where I could not only grow my Cannabis practice, but also where I would have the support of the firm in my Cannabis pro bono work. I have always had an interest in Cannabis Law because I saw injustice for people who have been disproportionately impacted by cannabis prohibition, while big business in the industry often does the same with impunity. At Pashman Stein, I work with an amazing group of people who really know cannabis law and have as much passion for the cannabis industry as I do, which is a rare find.”
Honors & Recognitions
Selected for inclusion in the list of:
- InsiderNJ, “Insider 100: Cannabis Power List,” 2022
- Insider NJ, "Insider 100: Policymakers" 2021
Additional information about this recognition is available here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Insights
- February 2022Alana Hans-Cohen Presented at International Cannabis Bar Association, “State Licensing: Navigating New Jersey’s Cannabis Regulations"
- December 2021Alana Hans-Cohen presented to SUNY Schenectady County Community College, "Recreational Marijuana Panel Discussion"
- December 2021Alana Hans-Cohen presented to CannAWARE Society, “Cannabis Business Licenses"
- November 2021Alana Hans-Cohen presented to CannAWARE Society, “The Legacy Market"
- October 2021Alana Hans-Cohen presented New York City Bar Association CLE – “New York’s Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act’s Impact on Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs
- Cannabis Blog, 12.1.22
Community & Professional
- Cannabis Advisory Group, Director, 2020 – present
- Cannabis Law Digest, Policy & Legal Compliance Editor, 2017 – 2020
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member, 2020 – present
- New York City Bar Association, Committee on Drugs and the Law; Chair, 2021 – present; Member, 2017 – present
- Greater Lynn Bar Association, Massachusetts, Member, 2020 – present
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Member, 2011 – present
- New York
- New Jersey
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
J.D., New York Law School, 2020
B.A., City University of New York, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 2014