Jennifer A. Borg
- June 14, 2018 - Jennifer Borg and CJ Griffin Comment on Former Governor Christie Standing in the Way of Transparency
- June 11, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden's Appellate Practice Profiled in New Jersey Law Journal
- April 23, 2018 - Firm has been recognized as "Appellate Litigation Department of the Year" by The New Jersey Law Journal
- Jul 17, 2017 - PSWH Media Law Attorneys Obtain Landmark Supreme Court Ruling in Favor of Police Transparency
- Mar 6, 2017 - Jennifer Borg Is Featured in NJBIZ About Joining PSWH
- Feb 20, 2017 - Jennifer A. Borg Joins the Firm
- March 20, 2015 - Jennifer Borg Interviewed for Sunshine Week by New Jersey OPRA Blog
- July 2014 - Jennifer Borg featured in "Newspaper counsel takes on New Jersey governor over 'Bridgegate'"
Jennifer Borg is the former General Counsel and Vice President of North Jersey Media Group Inc. The Company published more than 50 magazines and newspapers – including the award-winning daily newspaper, The Record – as well as the news website, NorthJersey.com. The Record was owned by the Borg family for over 80 years and was recently sold to Gannett Satellite Information Network LLC.
As head of the Legal Department, Ms. Borg handled all First Amendment issues and right-of-access claims, as well as all the company’s litigation and transactional matters. She is a fierce advocate of open and transparent government. In 2014, she successfully litigated many cases under New Jersey’s Open Public Records Act helping The Record in its award-winning breaking news coverage of “Bridgegate.”
Ms. Borg was been involved in major copyright issues, such as the licensing of the iconic photograph taken by Thomas E. Franklin of The Record (Bergen Co., New Jersey) showing three firefighters raising an American flag at Ground Zero.
Jennifer Borg is also President of the Foundation of Northern New Jersey f/k/a North Jersey Media Group Foundation which she founded in 2002 to assist those who suffered losses as a result of the events of September 11.
- Ms. Borg has won numerous lawsuits on behalf of reporters to serve the public’s right to know through the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) and the Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA).
- Ms. Borg has represented many reporters and publications defending libel lawsuits and invoking the Shield Law to prevent reporters from having to testify in connection with their newsgathering activities.
- In 2001, in conjunction with the ACLU, Ms. Borg led a lawsuit against former Attorney General John Ashcroft after 9/11 in order to obtain information about secret detainee hearings held by the U. S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- In 2013, on behalf of North Jersey Media Group, Borg filed a federal lawsuit against Sarah Palin and her PAC alleging copyright infringement for their use of the photo of the three firefighters raising an American flag at Ground Zero. The case is pending.
- Member of the Board, Table to Table
- Member of the Board, East Hampton Historical Society (NY)
- Former Member of the Board, Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC)
- Former Member of the Board, HUMC Foundation
- Former Member of the Board, Program for Parents Inc.
- Former Member of the Board, Urban League for Bergen County
- Former Member of the Board, The Dwight Englewood School
- Former Member of the Board, Marilyn Horne Foundation
- Former member of the Board of Governors, The Hotchkiss School
- Founding Member, Women United in Philanthropy
- Founding Member, North Jersey Media Group Foundation
- Former Member and Chair, New Jersey Press Association (NJPA), and NJPA Foundation
- Member, D.C. Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar
- Member, Bergen County and Passaic County Bars
- Member, Women Lawyers in Bergen
- Member, New Jersey Women’s Lawyers Association
- Featured by ABA Journal in “Newspaper counsel takes on New Jersey governor over,” July 1, 2014
- Interviewed for Sunshine Week by NJOPRA.com, March 20, 2015
- New Jersey
- New York
- B.A., Denison University
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law; Editor, Columbia’s Human Rights Law Review
Judge and editor, Moot Court
- Recognized with ACLU’s 2017 Legal Leadership Award
- Ranked 9th and the first woman listed among The 2015 PolitickerNJ Power List
- Included in Senate Majority Leader Weinberg’s 2013 and 2014 Power Lists
- Recognized among NJBiz’s General Counsel of the Year Award 2013
- Recognized by The American Bar Association Journal for The Record’s aggressive efforts to gain access to public records in “BridgeGate”