James W. Boyan III
- March 19, 2018 - Thirteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Dec 5, 2017 - Nine Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Named 2017 Bergen County Top Lawyers
- Jan 3, 2017 - CJ Griffin and James W. Boyan III Named Members of the Firm
- Sep 23, 2016 - Jim Boyan Quoted in TTNews.com in Regards to New Overtime Rule
- Mar 24, 2016 - Pashman Stein Lawyers Selected to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Aug 31, 2015 - Jim Boyan Interviewed by NJTV News on the DOL’s Clarification of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Mar 16, 2015 - Five Pashman Stein Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers List for 2015 Six Attorneys Also Selected to the Rising Stars List
- May 20, 2014 - Jim Boyan Quoted in, "Two ex-Medco Employees Suing Express Scripts"
- March 26, 2014 - Jim Boyan Quoted in, "Push Is On Against Long-Term-Unemployment Discrimination"
- January 2013 - Jim Boyan Quoted in, "Correctly Classifying Employees"
- May 3, 2018 - Governor Murphy Signs New Jersey Paid Sick Leave Act Into Law
- April 10, 2018 - Governor Murphy Announces that He Will Sign New Equal Pay Law on #EqualPayDay
- February 16, 2018 - US DOL Issues New Guidance on Unpaid Interns
- Nov 4, 2016 - New Rule Requires Paid Sick Leave for Workers on Federal Contracts
- Dec 30, 2015 - Contingent Labor Providers Beware
- Nov 5, 2015 - Second Circuit “Likes” the NLRB’s Ruling on Facebook Activity
- Jul 27, 2015 - Are Your “Independent Contractors” Entitled to Overtime?
- February 18, 2015 - FAA Issues Proposed Regulations on the Commercial Use of Drones
- Dec 2, 2014 - Social Media in the Workplace
- October 6, 2014 - Social Media and Technology in the Workplace
- April 10, 2014 - Significant Changes to Overtime Rules in the Works
- Feb 24, 2014 - OSHA’s Proposal to Post Your Company’s Injury Records Online
- February 4, 2014 - Reminder to New Jersey Employers: Don't Post Want Ads Excluding the Unemployed
Jim is an experienced employment lawyer and a seasoned litigator. He provides practical advice to clients on various federal and state employment laws. He has represented clients in state and federal courts and various administrative agencies. He has also defended clients in governmental audits and investigations. He has drafted and argued high-stakes motions and appeals, negotiated complex settlements, and tried cases to completion. Jim also has significant experience defending workers’ compensation and unemployment claims in New Jersey.
Jim earned a B.A. in history from Colgate University, cum laude. He also received a J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law, magna cum laude. Jim was a recipient of the Andrew B. Crummy and the Bergen Bar Foundation Scholarships. During law school, he served as a Senior Editor of the Seton Hall Law Review and drafted a note on the enforceability of employment arbitration agreements. Jim was also inducted into the Order of the Coif.
Following law school, he clerked for the Honorable Katharine S. Hayden, U.S.D.J. of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Jim is currently attending New York University School of Law part-time pursuing an L.L.M. degree in taxation with a concentration on employment-related taxes.
Edwards v. State Casino Control Comm'n, No. A-5717-13T2, 2015 WL 10635399 (N.J. App. Div. Apr. 11, 2016). In this long-running wrongful termination case, Jim drafted and argued a successful motion for summary judgment, wrote the appeal brief, and argued the case before the Appellate Division which affirmed the trial court’s decision. Jim also drafted the briefs in opposition to plaintiffs’ motion for reconsideration and their petition for certification. On July 20, 2016, the New Jersey Supreme Court denied the plaintiffs’ petition for certification which ended the litigation.
- Member, Board of Trustees, CASA for Children of Bergen County, 2007 – 2016
- Volunteer Attorney, Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project, 2007 – 2013
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Bergen County Bar Association
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- B.A., Colgate University, cum laude, 2002
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif, 2006
National Institute of Trial Advocacy – Deposition Skills Program (2008)
National Institute of Trial Advocacy – Trial Advocacy Program (2012)
Quoted, “Correctly Classifying Employees” New Jersey Business Magazine, January 2013
Quoted “Push Is On Against Long-Term-Unemployment Discrimination” March 26, 2014: http://www.hreonline.com/HRE/view/story.jhtml?id=534356854&ss=james+boyan
Quoted, “NFI Settlement May Signal Rise in Federal Audits of Overtime Pay Practices” TTnews.com, September 23, 2016
“Contingent Labor Providers Beware” EMinfo, December 30, 2015
Interviewed by NJTV News on the “DOL's Clarification of the Fair Labor Standards Act” August 31, 2015.
“Social Media in the Workplace” Meadowlands USA Newsletter, December 2014
Quoted, “Two ex-Medco Employees Suing Express Scripts” The Record, May 20, 2014
Quoted, “Push Is On Against Long-Term-Unemployment Discrimination” Human Resource Executive Magazine, March 2014
“OSHA's Proposal to Post Your Company's Injury Records Online” Commercial, Construction & Renovation, January/February 2014
Quoted, "Correctly Classifying Employees" New Jersey Business Magazine, January 2013
- Included in the New Jersey Rising Star list for the editions of 2015-2017.
The New Jersey Rising Star list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.