Erik M. Corlett
- January 1, 2019 - 2018 Attorney Rankings and Awards Recap
- April 8, 2018 - Eight Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Employees Rappel for Autism
- March 23, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden to Participate in "Over the Edge" Event for Autism Awareness
- March 19, 2018 - Thirteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- March 15, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Announces Two New Partners
I joined Pashman Stein Walder Hayden in 2016, after previously working with a group of the attorneys here as co-counsel a few years earlier on a large, complex estate litigation that was tried over the course of seven months in the chancery court. One of my reasons for joining Pashman Stein Walder Hayden is that I knew it would be a wonderful place to practice law as all of the people I worked with on that estate litigation were great people and great attorneys. Since I have been at the firm, I have continued to work on complex litigations in both the state and federal courts, including recently trying a complex fraudulent transfer matter to completion with a successful result. I have been involved in an extensive amount of appellate work as well, and currently am working on a multi-jurisdictional post-judgment matter, along with defending public entities against civil rights and tort claims.
Erik M. Corlett is a Partner with the firm’s Litigation practice. Mr. Corlett represents clients in complex litigation matters pertaining to commercial and corporate law, trusts and estates law, and personal injury matters. Mr. Corlett has extensive experience at both the trial and appellate levels. Mr. Corlett represents individual and corporate clients in commercial and chancery disputes, and has defended an array of public entities, including State entities, municipalities, boards of education, county prosecutor’s offices, and county improvement and utility authorities.
Prior to joining Pashman Stein Walder Hayden, Mr. Corlett worked as a litigation attorney at DeCotiis, FitzPatrick & Cole, LLP, where he engaged in a complex litigation practice.
Mr. Corlett is a 2002 graduate of Macalester College, where he received a B.A. in Political Science and Economics. He received his J.D. magna cum laude from Seton Hall University in 2006, where he was awarded the Order of the Coif. Following law school, he clerked for the Honorable Jack L. Lintner, Presiding Judge of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division (retired). Mr. Corlett completed the Justice Morris Pashman American Inn of Court program in 2010.
From 2014-2018, the Super Lawyers publication named Mr. Corlett to its list of Rising Stars, which recognizes New Jersey’s outstanding young lawyers. Mr. Corlett has an AV Preeminent peer review rating by Martindale-Hubble.
- Verge Properties Urban Renewal, LLC v. Union County Improvement Authority, 2015 WL 6739538 (App. Div. Nov. 5, 2015)
- Estate of Cohen v. Cohen, 2013 WL 5476569 (App. Div. Dec. 12, 2013)
- Cohen v. Booth Computers, 421 N.J. Super. 134 (App. Div. 2011)
- In a land redevelopment dispute between a private redeveloper and a local designated redevelopment entity involving issues of contract interpretation and claims of breach of contract, Mr. Corlett successfully briefed and argued the appeal of an adverse jury verdict, resulting in the Appellate Division reversing the jury verdict, and remanding for a new trial.
- In several related complex commercial and estate disputes, Mr. Corlett worked with a team prominent attorneys to successfully defend an individual client and his family business against multiple lawsuits brought in state and federal courts seeking to recover hundreds of millions of dollars. The claims involved several complex trials over a course of years asserting contract, guardianship, undue influence, accounting, and promissory estoppel claims in various chancery courts, resulting in multiple successful defense decisions for the client.
- In two related civil rights matters, Mr. Corlett successfully defended the a police entity and several individual officers in cases surrounding a fatal police-involved shooting resulting in two lawsuits asserting various civil rights and wrongful death claims. Mr. Corlett obtained summary judgment for the entity and individual supervisory defendants, dismissing all claims against his clients before trial
- In post-judgment enforcement proceedings, Mr. Corlett has assisted a private individual client collect more than $10 million on a judgment through various execution avenues from both individual and corporate judgment debtors. Mr. Corlett successfully tried a fraudulent transfer claim, resulting in an opinion and order requiring the return of $18 million in funds secreted overseas.
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey
- New York
- B.A., Macalester College, 2002
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, magna cum laude, 2006
Honors and Accolades
- Included in the New Jersey Rising Star list for the editions of 2014-2018.
- Selected to the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating list.
The New Jersey Rising Star list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
The Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings list is issued by Martindale-Hubbell. A description of the selection methodology can be found athttp://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Client_Review_Ratings.aspx.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.