- March 12, 2019 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorney CJ Griffin Selected to 2019 New Jersey Rising Stars List
- March 12, 2019 - Fifteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- January 15, 2019 - Griffin quoted in editorial about body cam lawsuit
- January 1, 2019 - 2018 Attorney Rankings and Awards Recap
- December 27, 2018 - CJ Griffin Quoted in Article on Trenton Board of Education
- Dec 12, 2018 - CJ Griffin Named to DataBird's "250 Cannabis Law Experts" List
- November 6, 2018 - CJ Griffin Interviewed for Marketplace Reports on NPR
- October 10, 2018 - Motions for Discovery Filed Against The Pingry School for the Sexual Abuse of a Former Fifth Grade Student
- September 27, 2018 - Congratulations to Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Partner, CJ Griffin on being named to InsiderNJ's 2018 Insider 100 LGBT Power List
- August 27, 2018 - Pashman Stein Recognized as a 2018 Regional Powerhouse by Law360
- July 24, 2018 - PSWH Helps Reclaim The Records Get New Jersey's Death Index
- July 9, 2018 - CJ Griffin Appointed as Co-Chair of the NJ Bar Association's Media Law Committee
- June 15, 2018 - CJ Griffin Featured in The New Jersey Law Journal as an Attorney of the Year Finalist
- June 14, 2018 - Jennifer Borg and CJ Griffin Comment on Former Governor Christie Standing in the Way of Transparency
- June 11, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden's Appellate Practice Profiled in New Jersey Law Journal
- May 27, 2018 - CJ Griffin Quoted on Discrimination in Franklin Township
- May 27, 2018 - CJ Griffin Quoted, "This is the Only Decision That Makes Sense and That Fosters Transparency," in Article Regarding Recent Decision Not to Limit OPRA to NJ Citizens
- May 25, 2018 - CJ Griffin Quoted on Glenn Rock Lawsuit Regarding Facebook
- May 23, 2018 - New Jersey Supreme Court Issues Important Ruling on OPRA's Privacy Provision
- May 23, 2018 - CJ Griffin Quoted in NorthJersey.com Article in Regards to Supreme Court Decision to Release Bidder Names from Sports Memorabilia Auction
- May 16, 2018 - Appellate Division Rules that OPRA is not Limited to NJ Citizens
- May 7, 2018 - NJ Supreme Court Rules "Single Publication Rule" Applies to Internet Articles and Defines Parameters of Republication to Restart the Statute of Limitations for a Defamation Cause of Action
- May 3, 2018 - CJ Griffin Interviewed by NorthJersey.com Regarding Ridgewood Councilman's Harassment Claim
- April 25 2018 - CJ Griffin Secured Access to the City of Newark's Bid to Land Amazon's Second U.S. Headquarters
- April 23, 2018 - Firm has been recognized as "Appellate Litigation Department of the Year" by The New Jersey Law Journal
- April 20, 2018 - CJ Griffin Interviewed by FiOS 1 New Jersey about her OPRA Case Against Glen Rock Blocking Resident's from The Town's Facebook Account
- April 20, 2018 - Alan Silber, CJ Griffin and Ronny Jo Siegal to Speak at The Twelfth National Clinical Conference on Cannabis Therapeutics
- April 19, 2018 - CJ Griffin Filed an OPRA Suit to Get a List of Users that Borough Officials have "Banned" from Their Official Facebook Pages
- April 19, 2018 - Pashman Stein Files Brief with NJ Division of Consumer Affairs in Favor of De-Scheduling Marijuana
- April 16, 2018 - CJ Griffin is a Finalist for New Jersey Attorney of the Year
- April 4, 2018 - Lawsuit Seeks Newark's Amazon HQ2 Proposal
- March 20, 2018 - An Appellate Division Win
- March 20, 2019 - An Appellate Victory for Two Long-Term Firm Clients, Richard Rivera and Collene Wronko
- March 19, 2018 - Thirteen Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Attorneys Listed as New Jersey Super Lawyers
- March 13, 2018 - A Sunshine Week Win on Payroll Records
- March 6, 2018 - First Lawsuit Filed Against The Pingry School for the Sexual Abuse of a Former Fifth Grade Student
- March 2, 2018 - CJ Griffin Quoted on MyCentralJersey.com Article on The Appellate Court Decision to Side with Home News Tribune in a Lawsuit Against the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office
- February 27, 2018 - Partner CJ Griffin Quoted in NJ.COM article the NJ Attorney General's Decision to Make Police Shooting Videos Public
- February 22, 2018 - CJ Griffin Says, "The Public Has a Right to Transparency. The Public Has a Right to See How Much We are Spending."
- February 21, 2018 - Firm's OPRA Client and CJ Griffin Mentioned on CentralJersey.com
- February 20, 2018 - Pashman Stein Walder Hayden Files Open Public Records Act (OPRA) Lawsuit on Behalf of a Citizen Activist Against the City of Newark to Access the Amazon Bid, Contracts
- February 2, 2018 - CJ Griffin Mentioned in Article about Flemington-Raritan School District’s Legal Bills
- Jan 9, 2018 - CJ Griffin Represents Libertarians for a Transparent Government with Appeal for Public Records Request
- Jan 2, 2018 - CJ Griffin is Credited with Aggressive Probe Using the Open Public Records Act
- Dec 14, 2017 - PSWH OPRA Win: Request for Town’s Legal Records Need Not Specify Case Names
- Oct 30, 2017 - CJ Griffin Quoted on NJ.com in Regards to OPRA Win
- Aug 30, 2017 - CJ Griffin Appointed to New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Minority Concerns
- Jul 17, 2017 - PSWH Media Law Attorneys Obtain Landmark Supreme Court Ruling in Favor of Police Transparency
- Jun 22, 2017 - The Noncommittal Glomar Response: Depriving the Public of the Right to Know Whether Public Records Exist
- Jun 22, 2017 - The Use of Prior Restraints on Publication in the Age of Wikileaks
- Jan 3, 2017 - CJ Griffin and James W. Boyan III Named Members of the Firm
- Oct 26, 2016 - Firm’s OPRA Clients and CJ Griffin Mentioned on Atlantic City Press Article
- September 8, 2016 - CJ Griffin Quoted in Colts Neck Story
- Jul 1, 2016 - CJ Griffin and Valerie McCarthy Join ACLU-NJ's Board of Trustees
- May 18, 2016 - PSWH Lawyers Participate in NJSBA Annual Meeting
- Mar 24, 2016 - Pashman Stein Lawyers Selected to the Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Feb 25, 2016 - CJ Griffin Named to Board of Trustees of ACLU-NJ
- Jan 4, 2016 - Pashman Stein Announces New Member and Counsel
- October 20, 2015 - CJ Griffin Quoted in The Trentonian News Article
- Aug 27, 2015 - Pashman Stein lawyers featured in The Record in regards to the release of documents in fatal police shooting
- May 15, 2015 - CJ Griffin is Elected Chair of the LGBT Rights Section of New Jersey State Bar Association
- Mar 16, 2015 - Five Pashman Stein Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers List for 2015 Six Attorneys Also Selected to the Rising Stars List
- October 6, 2014 - CJ Griffin interviewed by NJ BIZ in regards to NJ SAFE
- March 13, 2019 - Editorial: Lottery Winners Shouldn't Be Anonymous
- March 11,2019 - It's Sunshine Week!
- February 7, 2019 - Imposing Personal Penalties Upon Those Who Knowingly Violate OPRA
- January 13, 2019 - Carteret Mayor's Facebook Page is Subject to OPRA
- January 6, 2019 - Vendor Activity Reports: A Helpful Tool for Tracking Spending
- January 1, 2019 - 2018 Year in Review
- October 16, 2018 - You Only Have 45 Days to Sue for an OPRA Violation
- August 30, 2018 - Lawsuit Seeks Settlement/Separation Agreement For Corrections Officer
- August 29, 2018 - OPRA Modernization Bill – copying fee problems
- August 29, 2018 - Keep an Eye on Local Ordinances
- August 18, 2018 - Supreme Court Rules Dash Cams Pertaining to Criminal Investigations Are Not Subject to OPRA
- July 17, 2018 - New Jersey to Issue 6 New Medical Dispensary Licenses
- June 16, 2018 - Update: Court Orders Disclosure of Facebook "Blocked Users" Lists
- June 8, 2018 - Scutari Offers a New Legislative Approach
- June 8, 2018 - Court Issues Jail Death Records Opinion
- June 1, 2018 - The Use of Prior Restraints on Publication in the Age of Wikileaks
- May 4, 2018 - NJ Medical Marijuana Program Sees Rapid Growth
- April 11, 2018 - The GRC's Time Problem
- April 4, 2018 - Lawsuit Seeks Newark's AmazonHQ2 Proposal
- March 13, 2018 - Are Survey Results Subject to OPRA?
- March 9, 2018 - Legal Cannabis is a Jobs Creator
- March 6, 2018 - AG Issues New Police Shooting Video Directive
- Feb 2, 2018 - Most New Jerseyans Favor Marijuana Reform, But Public Education Is Needed
- Jan 22, 2018 - Appellate Division Rules Agencies Cannot Hide Behind Technology
- Nov 14, 2017 - How to Monitor Police Agencies: Part 3
- Nov 6, 2017 - How to Monitor Police Agencies: Part 2
- Oct 30, 2017 - How to Monitor Police Agencies: Part 1
- Oct 23, 2017 - Appellate Division Significantly Expands Student Records Exemption
- September 26, 2017 - PSWH Files NJ Supreme Court Amicus Briefs Dealing with Transparency
- July 19, 2017 - Victory Achieved in Supreme Court Police Records Case
- June 21, 2017 - Supreme Court Restores Access to Electronically Stored Information
- June 21, 2017 - Email Searches Must Include Search of Township Server and Personal Email Boxes
- April 26, 2017 - Borough Invokes Automatic Fee for OPRA Requests
- Mar 6, 2017 - A3626 Will Hinder Transparency Over Police Shootings
- Feb 27, 2017 - Agencies May Charge Special Service Charges, But Only In Rare Cases
- Feb 24, 2017 - Yes, You May “OPRA an OPRA Request”
- Feb 21, 2017 - The Third Exception to OPRA’s Personnel Records Exemption
- Feb 16, 2017 - A4532 Will Hinder Transparency
- Dec 22, 2016 - Exception 2 to OPRA’s Personnel Records Exemption
- Dec 14, 2016 - What Personnel Records Can I Obtain Under OPRA?
- November 23, 2016 - Split Supreme Court Exempts Security Camera Footage
- November 10, 2016 - Township of Old Bridge Must Release Dash Camera Footage
- November 10, 2016 - Justices Weigh Public's Right to Know in Fatal Cop Encounters
- Sep 28, 2016 - May An Agency Take Extensions to Respond?
- September 28, 2016 - May An Agency Take Extensions to Respond?
- July 5, 2016 - The Status of Access to Police Records: O'Shea, NJMG v. Lyndhurst, and Paff v. OCPO
- May 25, 2016 - My OPRA Request Was Denied. Now What?
- March 16, 2016 - Pashman Stein's OPRA Cases Make News
- February 22, 2016 - How Soon Must Government Records Be Available to Requestors?
- November 9, 2015 - New Jersey Supreme Court Accepts Security Camera Case
- October 21, 2015 - GRC Rules that Agencies Must Accept Electronic Requests
- October 7, 2015 - North Jersey Media Group v. Township of Lyndhurst Appeal Drawing National Support From Media
- August 4, 2015 - A Public Agency Must Tell You What Records Exist
- July 9, 2015 - Follow Up on Public Agencies Suing OPRA Requestors
- June 25, 2015 - Public Agencies May Not File Declaratory Judgment Actions Against OPRA Requestors
- May 7, 2015 - Are Facebook Posts and Other Computer Records Subject to OPRA?
- May 7, 2015 - Government Records Council in Violation of OPMA?
- March 20, 2015 - Sunshine Week: Jennifer A. Borg, Esq.
- March 19, 2015 - Sunshine Week: Rich Rivera
- March 17, 2015 - Sunshine Week: Pat Gilleran
- March 17, 2015 - Sunshine Week: Harry Scheeler
- March 16, 2015 - Sunshine Week: A Win in Helmetta for the Wronkos
- March 3, 2015 - Public Employees Cannot Escape OPRA by Using Personal Email Accounts
- February 5, 2015 - Governor Must Release RSVP Lists for Town Hall Meetings
- January 15, 2015 - Pashman Stein Secures OPRA Win in Police Shooting Case
- January 14, 2015 - Records of Police Shooting of Black Driver Must Be Made Public
- Dec 10, 2014 - Using New Jersey’s Open Public Records Act as a Litigation Tool
- December 9, 2014 - Using New Jersey's Open Public Records Act as a Litigation Tool
- Nov 6, 2014 - Public-Private Partnerships May Be Subject to OPRA
- November 5, 2014 - Can a Public Agency Charge for Records?
- October 14, 2014 - Be Careful Citing Statutes in OPRA Requests
- September 26, 2014 - The Ongoing Investigation Exemption
- September 15, 2014 - Must I Use the Agency's Official Request Form?
- September 9, 2014 - How To Use NJ Open Public Records Act To Get The Scoop
- Sep 8, 2014 - How To Use NJ Open Public Records Act To Get The Scoop
- September 4, 2014 - May I Request Public Employee's emails?
- August 19, 2014 - Using OPRA as a Litigation Tool
- August 19, 2014 - Can I Request Attorney Bills?
- August 12, 2014 - Drafting a Valid OPRA Request
- August 8, 2014 - So You Were Denied Access – What's Next?
- August 7, 2014 - Business Improvement Districts Must Designate Records Custodians
- May 5, 2014 - What NYC Employers Should Know about Paid Sick Time Requirements
- Nov 6, 2013 - Domestic Violence Awareness for N.J. Employers
- Jul 18, 2013 - Employees Gaining Social Media Rights that Employers May Not "Right"
- Apr 22, 2013 - Status Update: NLRB Protects Employees on Social Media Sites
- Jan 15, 2013 - New Jersey's Medical Marijuana Law Impacts Employers
- May 15, 2019 - New Jersey State Bar Association 2019 Annual Meeting and Convention
- March 12, 2019 - OPRA 101: How to Use the Open Public Records Act to Hold Your Government Accountable
- October 3, 2018 - CJ Griffin Speaks on OPRA at Hamilton Democratic Club
- September 6, 2018 - OPRA 101: How to Use the Open Public Records Act to Hold Your Government Accountable
- May 10, 2018 - Employment & Housing (for patients and consumers)
- Jan 23, 2018 - Government Transparency in New Jersey: OPRA / OPMA Training
- Dec 12, 2017 - Open Public Records Act Seminar and Q&A
- Nov 15, 2017 - OPRA and the Press – OPRA Current Issues
- May 18, 2016 - PSWH Lawyers to Speak at NJSBA Annual Meeting
CJ Griffin’s legal practice focuses on media law, appellate advocacy, employment, criminal defense, and cannabis law.
CJ has earned a reputation in the State as one of the leading attorneys representing media companies, non-profit organizations, and citizens in Open Public Records Act (OPRA) litigations. Several of CJ’s cases have resulted in landmark decisions from the Supreme Court and Appellate Division, including North Jersey Media Group Inc. v. Township of Lyndhurst; Scheeler v. Atlantic County Joint Municipal Insurance Fund, and Wronko v. New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. CJ publishes the Firm’s “New Jersey OPRA Blog” to keep the public informed about updates in the law and routinely hosts OPRA trainings for community organizations and news rooms.
CJ has built a considerable appellate practice. CJ has argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court 8 times and has worked on more than 15 cases that have become published opinions. This includes regular appearances before the appellate courts in an amicus curiae capacity on a variety of legal issues. CJ also serves on the Amicus Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association. In 2018, the New Jersey Law Journal awarded the Firm a “Litigation Department of the Year” Award for its appellate work primarily in the OPRA field.
CJ helped launched the Firm’s growing cannabis law practice and regularly contributes to the Firm’s “NJ Cannabis Blog.”
Prior to joining Pashman Stein, CJ was a law clerk to Hon. Ariel A. Rodriguez, Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division, and a litigation associate at Scarinci Hollenbeck. During law school, CJ was a Research Editor for the Rutgers Law Review. Prior to law school, CJ worked in non-profit management in several non-profit organizations, including the National Housing Institute, Identity House of New York City, and Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
CJ is currently the Vice President of the Board of Trustees of the ACLU of New Jersey and performs significant pro bono work on a variety of civil rights issues. In the past, CJ has served as a Chair of the LGBT Rights Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, a member of the New Jersey Law Journal’s Young Lawyer Advisory Board, and a member of the Essex County LGBTQ Advisory Board.
CJ has earned numerous accolades and awards, including being named as a Finalist for the New Jersey Law Journal’s “2018 Attorney of the Year Award.” In addition, CJ earned a “Professional Achievement Award” from the Young Lawyers Division of the New Jersey State Bar Association in 2017 and is listed as a New Jersey Rising Star for the 2013-2018 editions of Super Lawyers. In 2012, CJ was named one of New Jersey Law Journal’s “New Leaders of the Bar” (formerly “40 Under 40”).
- ACLU-NJ, Board of Trustees, Vice President
- New Jersey State Bar Association, (2009-Present)
- LGBT Rights Section (Chair, 2015; Member, current)
- Bylaws & Resolutions Committee, Member
- Amicus Committee, Member
- New Jersey Law Journal’s Young Lawyers Advisory Board, Former Member
- “The Use of Prior Restraints on Publication in the Age of Wikileaks,” New Jersey Lawyer, June 2017 (pending)
- “Public-Private Partnerships May Be Subject to OPRA,” New Jersey Law Journal, November 6, 2014}
- “Using New Jersey’s Open Public Records Act as a Litigation Tool,” New Jersey Corp. Counsel Assoc. Newsletter(December 2014)
- “What Businesses Need to Know About New Jersey’s New Domestic Violence Leave Law,” NJBIZ, October 9, 2014
- “How To Use NJ Open Public Records Act To Get The Scoop,” Law360, September 9, 2014
- N. Jersey Media Group Inc. v. Twp. of Lyndhurst, 229 N.J. 541 (2017)
- Wronko v. New Jersey Soc’y for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, __ N.J. Super. __ (App. Div. 2018)
- Brennan v. Bergen Cnty Prosecutor’s Office, 223 N.J. 330 (2018)
- Petro-Lubricant Testing Labs, Inc. v. Asher Adelman, 233 N.J. 236 (2018)
- Kean Federation of Teachers v. Morel, __ N.J. __ (2018)
- Libertarians for Transparent Gov’t v. Gov’t Records Council, __ N.J. Super. __ (App. Div. 2018)
- In re New Jersey Firemen’s Ass’n, 230 N.J. 258 (2017)
- North Jersey Media Grp. Inc. v. Office of Governor, 451 N.J. Super. 282 (App. Div. 2017)
- State v. Bacome, 228 N.J. 94 (2017)
- Gilleran v. Twp. of Bloomfield, 227 N.J. 159 (2016)
- North Jersey Media Grp Inc. v. Twp. of Lyndhurst, 441 N.J. Super. 70 (App. Div. 2015)
- Gilleran v. Twp. of Bloomfield, 440 N.J. Super. 490 (App. Div. 2015)
- State v. Tate, 220 N.J. 393 (2015)
- Turner v. Twp. Of Irvington, 430 N.J. Super. 274 (App. Div. 2013)
- Headen v. Jersey City Bd. of Educ., 212 N.J. 437 (2012)
- Wilson v. City of Jersey City, 209 N.J. 558 (2012)
- Judicial Law Clerk to Ariel A. Rodriguez, P.J.A.D. (2009-2010)
- New Jersey
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- B.S., SUNY-Empire State College, 2005
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 2009
Honors and Accolades
- Databird’s Research Journal, “250 Cannabis Law Experts” List, 2018
- InsiderNJ, “Insider 100 LGBT Power” List, 2018
- New Jersey Bar Association, Professional Achievement Award, 2017
- New Jersey Law Journal, Attorney of the Year Finalist, 2018
- New Jersey Law Journal, New Leaders of the Bar, 2012
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013-2019
The New Jersey Rising Star list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
The New Leaders of the Bar list is published by the New Jersey Law Journal. A description of the selection methodology can be found at http://www.njlawjournal.com/id=1202567879607/New-Leaders-of-the-Bar
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.